Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Squirrel Alert



Oh dear . . . 

It's happened once  again . . .

A squirrel has invaded my brain and my studio . . . 

So instead of my original plan to work on Merry and Bright
and/or Deck the Halls during November and December,
I will be playing with that squirrely inspiration.

Keep reading for background
on this unplanned adventure . . . 


Saturday's reveal post for Bonnie's 2020 Mystery Quilt 
set my brain off on a wild squirrel chase . . .


This is Bonnie's "inspiration photo" from her introductory post.

The very first thing I thought of was flying geese.


The second thing I thought of was this photo
taken as I drove to Nashville in 2008 for 
my one and only Bonnie workshop.

This photo inspired the palette for Dandelion Detour,
the first of what became my NOT a Mystery quilts.


As my brain continued to puzzle with her palette, 
I thought of this bouquet of flowers.

They come home with me last Friday morning
and the colors demanded to be photographed
while the groceries were still in the trunk of my car.


Which led me to finding a photo of this quilt
named SUNNY DAY from a class I took 
at John C Campbell Folk School.

(quilt name inspired by lyrics from a song by Mac MacAnally)


Then, after letting the inspiration photos, 
the colors in the flower bouquet and quilt,
and my first thought of flying geese 
muddle around in my head for a while,
I remembered this design named
River Trees from the 12/2011 issue of The Quilt Life.

It was the inspiration for The Eclectic Goose
but I veered far, far away from its offset layout.

(the link above will take you to a series of
randomly date-arranged blog posts shared
during the making of that quilt)

The squirrel and I have now decided to 
revisit the original layout idea
for what will become my
 NOT A MYSTERY 2020 quilt.

I've named it GRASSY CREEK GEESE.



This is my color/fabric pull from the stash
 with red-violets instead of her white neutrals.

I will not be following along with the mystery clues
because when I'm not quilting with Max
I'll be busy cutting out and piecing 
red-violet, orange, and red geese
flying through skies of gray all bordered
with bands of late autumn green and gold.

My offset flying geese top should end up
at  50" x 68" which makes much more sense for me
than Bonnie's queen bed 94" x 94" size.

* * *

If you're curious, you can see my previous 
NOT A MYSTERY quilts HERE.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know.  
But if you listen, you may learn something new.”
Dalai Lama

17 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Why am I not surprised??? :o))

Julierose said...

It's definitely not a mystery to me hahaha--anyway...
Ever since I made my Starry-Eyed Jack and my backward geese I've been trying to suppress the feeling that I NEED to make more geese...
maybe another two dolly pieces filled with "gooseage", I so enjoyed making them one at a time...
My grandgirls loved their first two little mini quilts so I want to make some Christmas geese for them...
Squirrels abound it seems...hugs, Julierose

Mary said...

Your squirrel posts always tickle me.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

An errant, invading, squirrel is good for the spirit sometimes- no apologies necessary; you're the most disciplined person that I know and this Grassy Creek detour is exactly what needs to be pursued. Thanks for taking us along on your goose-y adventure! (Wild goose chase?!!) Honk!

Gale Bulkley said...

Your post has provided the push I need to start a flying geese quilt too. It's been rolling around for months in my head, so that squirrel is now mine too. What size will your geese be, Sandra?

Rebecca said...

On My.... the colors in that floral arrangement is breath taking!

And I love the "Not" a mystery quilt concept. While I have no problem taking off into my own unknown I get real fidgety even thinking about following someone else. lol
But I love to watch what others do with Bonnies mysteries and the different color pallets they choose.



sue s said...

I enjoyed your geesy progression. I have been having a geese attack also recently; is it because we all wish to be going somewhere and can't? Yours done up in Bonnie's colors will be fabulous!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

This is definitely a squirrel worth chasing! Beautiful palette. I'm looking forward to seeing this one come to life.

Cindy said...

Love the colors you have pulled for your Not a Mystery Quilt. Can't wait to see where you go with this.

audrey said...

Oh, I smiled so much at your post today. Not a Mystery is a brilliant idea! Love it!!

Mary Johnson said...

I don’t do mysteries but I love that flying geese quilt and saved it in my inspiration folder!

Andra Gayle said...

I love your flying geese quilt and the fact that you are doing a not mystery! beautiful colors!

Shelina said...

You're right, these colors will be fabulous in flying geese. Beautiful plan! That size makes a lot more sense to me too than the 94" square!

Mystic Quilter said...

What a delightful squirrel - both the one in the photograph and the pattern and your fabric pull. A good decision to use the glorious red/violet as a substitute for the neutrals.A size of 50" x 68"sounds perfect. Looking forward to seeing the quilt come to life in your posts.

Chookyblue...... said...

Omg that sure took you down a rabbit warren...... Millions of things floating thru your head........like what you ended up with though......

Nann said...

Well, that squirrel is taking you on a circuitous route. But we all know that the result will be as glorious as these late-autumn days. (I saved the photo of River Trees....your post or somewhere else? (A catalog?) and I do want to make it.)

Lynette said...

Your fabric pull is LUSCIOUS. Absolutely love the violet swap for the neutrals.