Last year I was handed a big stack
of vintage orphan quilt blocks.
This was one of them.
Most of the others were passed along to others.
This was the second one that I kept.
And this was the third one that stayed with me.
They've been in a drawer for over a year now . . .
I decided to hand stitch them onto
this length of Moda Bella blue backed with
more of the vintage damask napkin fabric.
(no batting this time)
I'll use the same Perle cottons used on Rame.
Here you can see one line of basting
with white quilting thread and
a test line with the darker purple Perle cotton.
And this line of green Perle cotton runs the full length
replacing the center line of basting thread.
I plan to start in the center this time and work out,
alternating from one side to the other
using a different color of thread for each length.
This is more like Kantha style stitching.
I've used this method before on my Moodling series
of Priority Quilts for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative.
(click HERE to see a series of old posts
where Moodling was included)
* * *
I have named this piece WU WEI.
(Adjective describing a Chinese concept and art
of conscious non-action; to embrace the flow
instead of effort to achieve a result)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“As a writer you try to listen to what others aren’t saying . . . and then write about the silence.”
N.R. Hart







9 comments:
Such an inspired idea Julie, I also think a good idea to begin in the middle, always good to try something different and put our spin on things.
As long as you don't name it Wu Han. Then you would have to change the motif and wear a mask stitching it. Seriously, nice application of the technique.
Great idea for those orphan blocks--what type needle are you using?
I am starting to hand quilt Starry Eyed Jack and having trouble threading needles I have on hand...
Love that blue blue...hugs, Julierose
I read your post and clicked on the links. Intereting. Thank you. You have peaked my interest in your project. I am looking forward to seeing the completion. I really can't imagine what it will look like at this time. I guess I don't have a lot of vision! LOL
Great hand stitching and fun colors in your threads.
Hand stitching is classic.
I love the entire kantha idea. On my bucket list. I like your idea of using orphan blocks, especially vintage ones.
This is a neat approach for these vintage blocks. I was not familiar with kantha work before. Looking up "Wu Wei," I'm in love with your name. It's so nice to have a no-stress easy-stitching project to relax with.
Are you using No. 12 pearl cotton? If so where did you get those great colors? I had to get some on ebay - nobody around here carries it - and I didn't see any of those luscious dark colors. Those are some fabulous vintage blocks!
This is very sweet looking. Love the hand stitching and the vintage blocks.:)
Post a Comment