Thursday, June 12, 2025

Background Efforts



I didn't feel like spending time with Max so I pulled out Hanabi (Macnas series no. 10) and sorted the 31 brights on blacks and 18 neutrals by fabric so I could create a wide mix of scrappy pairs.

(Hanabi is a Japanese word for fireworks)


Later in the day, I had 240 pinned pairs ready for future leader-ender sewing.


I decided to go ahead and do the same thing with the rectangles for Wallaroo (Macnas series no. 6).

I didn't count the unique fabrics on this one - sigh.


But now all 240 pairs are pinned and ready for future action.


Some of you may remember THIS POST.  

Since April, my plans for this inspiration have evolved.


This backing is simply beyond perfect (and the originally planned backing is now set aside for a scrappy silk quilt that has been lurking in the stash for many, many months).


I will use the bright colors from this Tula Pink True Colors 2022 jelly roll (gasp) along with a few supplemental fabrics from the stash.

I've cancelled the plan for April's Painting a Fence project and moved the inspiration photos, backing, and fabrics for the top to the box for Macnas series no. 12 - now named PAINT PARTY.

(I love it when two projects turn into one)


I'll pair the colors with these scrappy grays (think fence boards).


That said, the group of gray rectangles was originally planned for  Morning Fog (Macnas-inspired project No. 11) but every time I thought about the pinned/paired sets I felt sad instead of excited.  

That recurring feeling told me I needed to unpin the 240+ sets, lose the too-dark grays, and use a different neutral that felt better with the light blues but still fit the inspiration photo's vibe (from Google Images, no credit shown).

Accordingly, an assortment of fat quarters from the Zen Chic Even More Paper line are on order to supplement my own seriously reduced stash of low volumes.  

While I wait, it really is time to go get Tuxie-Tude quilted!

* * *

p.s.  If your head is spinning with all the different references to Macnas series quilts, check out the dedicated blog page that hopefully reduces confusion.

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Consistency is an underappreciated form of intentional magic disguised as mundane doing."
Victoria Erickson

7 comments:

Nann said...

My head is spinning (I need more coffee) but the important thing is that YOU can keep all of this sorted out.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

If my head is spinning I can't imagine how yours is even keeping up; you absolutely amaze me! Inspiration is EVERYWHERE!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh my, such wonderful plans! Your fabric is so wonderful. Glad you nixed the grays quilt. Love color. Love low volumes. You always find the the best low volumes.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You have a lot of nice mindless sewing prepped. I'm way behind in prepping.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice work, Julie! Prepping for piecing and consolidating plans is all pay off the process. Bonus points for now being ready to stitch at a moment's notice!

Astrid said...

Prepping for piecing is a lot of work. I'm into it now while my sewing machine is in for service. Bright and cheerful fabrics, looking forward to see progress.

The Joyful Quilter said...

With that plan in place and pairings made, you can definitely have the quilt tops sewn by the end of the year! The completed quilts? That will depend on you and the studio squirrels, Julie.