Monday, April 7, 2025

Painting a Fence


On their way home from Spring Break, Young Man and his parents stopped for dinner at a local restaurant.  

As they left, they noticed the owner painting the wood fence surrounding her outdoor patio.  

Young Man complimented her on the colors and she invited him to help paint - very fun.

I tucked the photos away in my quilt inspiration folder.


A few weeks later, I found this amazing fabric online and ordered enough for a photo-inspired quilt back 


The fabric itself is fine but the colors are so much less vibrant than that online image (and no bleeding when it was laundered) . . . color me beyond disappointed.


I didn't want to give up on the idea entirely so I sent that backing to the someday-I'll-be-a-backing-for-something-else closet and decided to keep my eyes open for another option.


Lo and behold, I chanced across this panel and its coordinating fabric (below) over the weekend in the clearance section at eQuilter.


And then a thought occurred to me . . . 


I have a box of leftover pieces from the making of Dragon Fyre and I'm guessing that if the quilting fairy is in a good mood, I'll be able to use quite a few of them in this new project that I'm calling PAINTING A FENCE.

Time will tell how and when this evolves.


And you can see where our total rainfall ended up once the storm moved on . . . we're seriously soggy but otherwise still standing.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
Thomas Edison


9 comments:

Pam said...

Painting a fence! Looking forward to seeing where this lands!

Julierose said...

Great find for your backing--too bad about that dragonfly fabric --it's hard to find fabric online--pix are misleading a lot of times...disappointing for sure!!
That is a whole lot of rain there!! Hope your upcoming week is a good one... hugs, Julierose

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Painting A Fence! Love it.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

How lucky he was to be invited to help paint! I have been disappointed many times by the enhanced online photos and the actual fabric print. It seems the more intense the color range is, the worst the comparison of them is.
That is a lot of rain! That band of rain was long and intense. We could have used a little of it.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohh Love the colors!! I wonder on the first backing if you added some light colors - would it bring out the shine? It is a lot darker than the online photo.

Nann said...

Your subsequent purchase will fill the bill more to your liking -- and the not-quite-right print will come in handy for another project. I hope your region will have some good drying weather after last week's storms.

Robin said...

Sorry about the disappointing fabric but it is still pretty, just in it's own way. That's an amazing amount of rain.

Quiltdivajulie said...

The diminished color was not from being laundered. It was dull before washing (I only mentioned bleeding while washing so readers would not assume that had been the problem).

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looking forward to seeing what form Painting a Fence will take, Julie. I think you are off to a fantastic start with that fabric pull!