Wednesday, March 19, 2025

Playing Catch-Up



When I made the scrappy placemats for Nann, I tried the whole-cloth approach (quilting a single large quilt sandwich and cutting the placemats from that).  This was the leftover section, which I bound with the same binding as the placemat set.


And this is where the bonus runner lives - on the riser shelf in my design studio under my hot water pot and tea drawer unit.


I did get the set of St. Patrick's Day utility mats bound and in place before the 17th - although now it is time to pack them away and pull out the Easter decor.


Here one is flipped over so you can see the backing fabric which makes them functionally reversible.


Again, I used the whole-cloth approach which resulted in this bonus runner which fits beautifully over the back of my recliner.

Now that I've done these two sets this way, I have a much better idea about the quilt sandwich measurements for future sets.  

June is the next one on the list - six placemats and a set of utility mats for living room.


Hooray!  Spikey is home and joyfully he did not lose any of his hair in the kiln.

(his back story is HERE)


This is the set up in my studio for this morning's Zoom presentation.

Mischief's job is to keep me on topic and out of the weeds.


I'll close with a few more bits from the Bookish journal.


True.


With both of our adult sons having been recently diagnosed with A1C issues, we've been reading a lot of nutrition labels while grocery shopping/planning our meals and family dinners.

So I couldn't resist including this nutrition label in my journal.

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"We are all mosaics, pieces of light, love, history, stars . . . glued together with magic and music and words."
Anita Krizzan

8 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

Ah, it’s good to see Spikey made it through the firing without any hair loss :-)

Julierose said...

Love the book Nutrition Label--oh so true for me, too!! I never thought to use a "whole cloth" approach for placemats; super idea, QDJulie. I will try that on my next set for Summer--[still need to bind my Christmas ones!!-What a slowpoke I am!!]
Spikey is so adorable--
hugs Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Such a neat way to do placemats. Maybe I will actually try to make some placemats. I just adore the quilt on the wall behind your computer. Firing in a kiln is always a surprise. I used to fire my students' work and worry all night about opening the kiln in the morning wondering if someone's piece blew up or some major malfunction. Explaining it to a distraught student was never easy.

Barbara Anne said...

The scrappy rainbow quilt is the perfect quilt to have behind you for your talk!
So happy that Spikey is intact after being fired!
Love the placemats and table runners. I have made seasonal wall quilts and a couple of runners but want to make more.
Wishing your sons well as they adapt to a better diet that would serve all of us well.

Hugs!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a great quilt for a zoom backdrop. It's my favorite from your series.
Yay for the hair!

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm in love with Spikey - his after firing colours are delicious, he looks good!! You have a tremendous quilt backdrop for you Zoom, hope all went well.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Spikey! Yay!! As always, everything that you do inspires and delights.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love the green runner and utility mats. Julie!