Younger Son was signed up for a Sunday afternoon class with local potter Becky Zee.
Unfortunately, he wasn't feeling great yesterday so he sent me in his place with just under 45 minutes notice.
This was the room at the Botanic Gardens when I arrived.
One of the instructor's example pieces.
Another example for a future class - the baby sister of Squeegee named MoMo.
Next we created what Becky calls "French fry" hair and let it sit while the eight of us made our critters' bodies, arms, noses, and eyes before finally adding the hair.
Painting - we had our option of close to 20 colors. I went with purple for the body, a sage green for the tie and toenails, and a shockingly bright yellow for the hair.
Once fired, I'm hoping the colors are smoother than they looked when I left the classroom.
And I most especially hope my critter doesn't lose too many strands of hair in the kiln.
For my very first experience at hand-building with clay, I'm not at all unhappy with the results. Becky is an excellent instructor and leads a well-paced class with lots of understated side comments that add insight and a wealth of how-to-hints.
After family dinner was over, I showed the photos to Young Man and asked him to name my critter. He pondered for a bit and then very seriously proclaimed "Spikey" which totally works for me.
The finished version Spikey will be ready in a couple of weeks and yes, I'll share "after" photos (unless he ends up bald).
* * *
P.S. When I shared my sketched plan for Dragon Fyre with Young Man, he enthusiastically gave two-thumbs-up approval. With the backing fabric finally here (bad weather delays), I'm ready to get going on the project. (and Younger Son is feeling much better today, thankfully)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"Art is an experience, not an object."
Robert Motherwell
10 comments:
Spikey is a charmer with a perfect name and hope he survives the kiln intact! Hope you have the chance to make him a friend, relative, or dog! This is a new skill for you and am glad you were able to take DS2's place in the class. Glad to hear that DS2 is feeling lots better, too.
Who knew toes are complicated to make?
Hugs!
love Love LOVE
What fun! How tall is Spikey? He'll be a great companion for your studio squirrels.
That is so much fun! What are your plans for Spikey when he comes home?
Oh what a fun class hand building Spikey!! Love that funky hair...
great to branch out and try different mediums...hugs, Julierose
That looks like a fun experience. I hope he doesn't loose his hair.
Sorry to hear that Younger Son want feeling well enough to attend, but what a fun class for you. Here's hoping all of Spikey's hair makes it through the kiln! Thanks for letting us know that YS is feeling better.
That looks like a really fun class!
The experience of a lifetime Julie!!! Love the colours you went with for Spikey and we'll definitely all being looking forward to your post when he's fired.
Oh, way fun!!! I hope all his “hair” makes it through firing. Sorry that YS wasn’t able to go though :(
Post a Comment