Friday, February 14, 2025

Introducing Dragon Fyre - a Camp Sefton Quilt


For Young Man's Valentine this year, we gifted him this quilt panel when they were here last weekend.

He was so excited we had to go straight to the quilt studio and choose fabrics "so you can start on my quilt tomorrow, MeeMah!"

He pulled out my step stool and started with the blues, aquas, and his favorite - golds.

Then he moved on to the pinks and purples (red-violet), another gold, and a bit of green - all without any coaching or suggestions from me.

So much fun to watch him work through the process!



Here's a detail shot once I had the fabrics arranged in a stack.

He asked me to cut off the dark bands on the left and right sides of the panel because they looked a little scary.

I promised I would, as I breathed a sigh of relief because I wanted to remove them as well.









Before they went home, I asked him if he wanted to help design the quilt top - "No, MeeMah, you are really good at that so you can do it - just be sure to use all the colors, please."  

Here is my first idea - we shall see how Dragon Fyre (the name of the panel) evolves as I start working on it.



And when the time comes, this is the backing fabric I have on order (he had not seen the photo yet when he chose the fabrics for the quilt top).

When I showed him the photo, his first word was "Awesome!"


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"We do not need to teach creativity, but rather inspire its daily practice."
Diane Darrow

12 comments:

ButterZ said...

Have fun with this quilt. Good he was so excited

Linda Swanekamp said...

My comment is also "Awesome". My grandkids are no longer excited about fabric and quilts, so I am living vicariously through you. Wonderful rich jewel like colors!

Julierose said...

Love your "scales" idea--what a great eye for colors he has..
what a fun project. Hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

You must be SEW proud, Julie! There's no question that he's got your color sense. Love how he pulled all the "right" colors without any prompting!

Anonymous said...

It will be another gorgeous quilt. I also greatly admire your quilts. I am currently working on a quilt influenced by the series Percey Jackson for my 9 yr old granddaughter. I don't know if your Little Man has read the series. Ginny C

Juliana said...

You are the best grandmother ever!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a very colorful panel! He did a great job choosing the colors to go with it. It's so great he is still excited about quilts.

Vicki W said...

Oh my gosh, that's going to be so awesome!!!

Charlotta said...

I’m always a bit reluctant to let others choose fabrics or pattern for a quilt I’m owing to make because it’s hard for me to make something I don’t like or which doesn’t excite me. And I’m afraid they’ll choose fabrics I don’t like, which are boring, or don’t look good. Or pick too few fabrics.
Glad your grandson and you work so well together.

Cherie Moore said...

Nice that LM is on the same wavelength about those ugly side borders. They are distracting and ugly!

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh WOW Julie, this is exciting!!! The colour in the central panel is stunning, this is going to be such a tremendous quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This will be fun!! he has a great eye for color!!