Back in April of this year, I assembled this blank journal made using a small USPS Priority Mail box as the cover and white sulphite paper for the pages.
Magazine cut outs were used to decorate the cover.
And then the journal sat on the shelf, waiting for inspiration to strike.
A few weeks ago I found a promotional email in my inbox for Care December - the Pink Edition hosted by Kasia Avery over at Everything Art. (you tube intro video is HERE - open and free to all)
I chose not to go with her approach but to grab all my assorted PINKNESS and fill that blank journal my way (more of an eclectic scrappy glue book aka junque journal).
Since my shoulder is sore enough that I cannot sit and stitch nor can I sit and FMQ, I spent a couple of hours playing with paper instead.
In this journal I finally tried using tissue paper as background color and I love the effect, especially the inevitable wrinkles and texture.
I tend to start a project like this by slotting my available background papers throughout the journal's pages to see just how much I have to work with and what else I might need to search for in the stash (scarcity encourages creativity - just like in quilt making).
Then I take some of the larger collage pieces I want to use and scatter them throughout the pages.
At that point I start sticking the backgrounds down - typically with a UHU glue stick since I am not a fan of matte medium and its messy sticky fingers that are hard to clean.
The photo above shows the first batch of covered pages ready to dry overnight and more backgrounds tucked into the remaining pages.
Hoping to get a lot more of this done over the weekend so I can share a finish or near-finish on Monday.
* * *
And even though my PT home health group is closed until the first week of January, one of the therapists called me and is going to have me start using two of the basic exercises she used with younger son last year. Every little bit will help and I'm grateful for her call.
"It is absurd to look for perfection."
Camille Pissaro

7 comments:
Loving all that pink tissue paper!! I do like how it wrinkles up and you can push it around for texture, too...this will be a lovely journal...
Glad you will get a "start" on your PT--every little bit helps.. hugs, Julierose
Any progress with your shoulder is good so I hope the exercises give you a head start on the PT.
Certainly making a lot of progress. I used tissue paper alot when I taught art. One brand, Spectra, I used as a tie dye or watercolor print on paper. If you wet or mist Spectra, the color bleeds on whatever you placed it on. Lots of fun possibilities with it. Even with the spent tissue paper as collage.
How marvelous that you thought of using your prepared journal for a celebration of all things pink and that your shoulder is letting you enjoy this form of creativity while you cannot comfortably sew or machine quilt.
Sweet to have your therapist get you started on familiar exercises while you wait for PT to re-open.
Where did you find that huge clip?
Hugs!
I understand the inability to FMQ or otherwise sew. I have been there in the past before back surgery. Actually now as well as I have tested positive for Covid and am observing the quarantine. Plus I ma just so fatigued that little is possible. I dug out an old cross stitch project and have been working on that a bit.
They all do step up for their turn eventually, don't they? Keep thinking pink- it's looking great.
Yes to a pink journal, what a glorious project! Wishing you a happy Christmas and healing.
Post a Comment