Wednesday, December 18, 2024

Good and Bad News


Let's start with the good news . . . Dr. Shoulder advises that I'm (almost certainly) dealing with a frozen shoulder.

He administered a large corticosteroid shot and sent me home with PT orders for 3xweek lasting 8-12 weeks, depending on my progress.


The not-so-great news is that due to Christmas being so close, I won't start the PT until January.

I know how to ice the shoulder and the shot has made a definite difference (no more popping and no mega-shooting pains so far today, only the constant ache and a few smaller twinges).  

All in good time - but not a lot of sewing between now and then.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"There are no wrong turns.  Only paths we had not known we were meant to walk."
Guy Gavriel Kay

10 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

Did I miss a post or did the shoulder issue just come up? My great grandmother, who lived to 102 always said growing old wasn’t for sissies. Boy, oh boy does the truth of that become clearer every year. Hope the shot allows you to enjoy the Christmas festivities.

Barbara Anne said...

What a huge bother to have limited range of motion (ROM) at this joyous time of year. You might have family or friends to come make cookies while you supervise and sample and you may have to consider a Christmas pot luck unless your sweetie cooks. On the bright side, others can take your decorations down and put them away with you supervising! Can you tell I dislike un-decorating?!
Hope you can still write or type to note all creative ideas you have while waiting for PT to start and you may even be able to pull fabrics to audition. Or not.
Think Mae West originated the truism that Cherie's grandmother quoted. It surely is the truth!

Hugs!

JustGail said...

I'm glad you got a diagnosis and the shot is already giving some relief. Bad time of year to start anything needing appointments it seems.

From your last post - nice work on the room cleanup! So nice to have empty spaces...room for future projects. Something that I'm needing to do, but somehow keep avoiding. So far.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That's a bummer to have the PT delayed. I hope the shot will continue to keep the pain down to a minimum. Beautiful pink flowers!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Been there, done that. Frozen shoulder is NO FUN!!! You have my sympathy, Julie.

Paulette said...

Oof, I feel for you Julie. I had frozen shoulder TWICE, first one shoulder and then the other about 10 years apart. PT helped, but the greatest healer was time. Took several months each time. Massage helped immensely. I went once a week to my sister, who is a massage therapist. As part of my PT, after other methods had been exhausted, it was recommended to install a pulley on a beam in the basement and use a rope with handles to gently raise the shoulder using the other good arm. It worked, but it was all a painful ordeal. I didn't get any shots back then, so hopefully that will help things heal faster for you.

MissPat said...

Oh, bother. Just when things were looking up with the foot recovery, another body part decides to rebel. You know the routine by now. Rest when you can, record your creative ideas with your phone and let the menfolk do all the work.
Pat

Juliann in WA said...

I am so sorry. I had frozen shoulder in 2023 and it was so painful. Now, every time I get a twinge of that pain, I get down on the floor and do the exercises I learned in PT. Hang in there

Nancy said...

Glad you are feeling some relief and that you know what to do until the PT can begin. But missing sewing is a tough result.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh Bummer - Hope that PR helps and heals fast
merry Christmas