Wednesday, December 25, 2024

Good News, a No-Sew Journal, and a Surprise



Those of you who visit regularly will immediately understand the significance of this photo.

The left foot, despite still being a bit swollen, is finally happy in my normal shoe - what a most-excellent Christmas present.


Over the past few days, I've spent some time playing with an idea shared by Meg of MegJournals - a no-sew journal using old book covers.  (you can see her video for this method HERE)

Many years ago, Cherie from St. Louis (now Pittsburgh) gifted me a small blank journal from See Rock City.  I used the covers from that journal to make my first-ever no-sew journal project.


The entire premise consists of creating an accordion/concertina style journal by building the pages using scrap paper, resulting in a patchwork-like effect.

If you look at the backgrounds on these example pages, you can see that I did just that.


This particular page features old advertising, coffee-dyed learn-to-print paper, a vintage sheet of Current stationery, and a collaged torn edge from who-knows-where and a scrap from long-ago handwritten meeting notes.


More interesting papers with a couple of extra bits collaged on top.


I really like the look of the patchwork-y backgrounds and I had fun finding bits to collage in strategic spots (to help strengthen some of the joins).


That said, I am not so terribly in love with the rather unsubstantial weight of the "pages."


I definitely liked using the red journal covers as the front and back of this journal and I will use that approach again with some of the thrifted book boards in my stash.


All in all, I'm quite pleased with the way this turned out, despite the lighter-than-usual page weight.

At some future point I want to make another version using a single continuous paper as the foundation and collage patchwork-style on top of that.  

* * *


AND I actually managed to sit and FMQ a portion of Spoondrift!  

I stopped after the first bobbin's worth of thread so that I didn't overdo things.  It would be amazing if I could get this finished by year end (it has only been pin basted since September).

We shall see.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing.  Making your unknown known is the important thing."
Georgia O'Keefe

8 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

Oh, what a lovely sight to see both feet in regular tennis shoes! And you were able to do some quilting. The best kind of Christmas present, yay 😄

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm so happy to see you are back to working on your quilt. I think you will get it done by the end of the year.

Barbara Anne said...

Love the variety of your many journals and the fact you never seem to run out of unique ideas. How glorious! I loved those quilt basket stamps and I have some of them after all the years.
Well done in managing to machine quilt part of Spoondrift!

Hugs!

Julierose said...

Oh how wonderful to be sporting your regular shoes, QDJulie!! ;)))
Sounds like you are really doing well--a great Christmas gift indeed!!
I regularly watch "Meg" on YT and enjoy her videos...I especially like her little flowery pages...
And great to hear that you were able to sit down and do a little quilting, too!!
Hoping you continue on this super recovery path....
hugs, Julierose

Nancy said...

Great progress in the shoe department! I love your concertina journal. Such wonderful vintage bits showcased. A fun one.

MissPat said...

Happy New Year, Julie. I'm glad to see your starting off on the right foot (or should that be the left foot?). Slow progress will see that quilt finished in no time.
Pat

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay!! A shoe and some quilting.... Miracles!!! Hugs!!

Ginny A said...

Two regular shoes! AND....progress on an old wip! Good for you.