Sunday, December 29, 2024

Introducing Lizzy


First and foremost, Spoondrift's quilting is finished and the binding is nearly done.  But since we've had nearly 3" of rain since Saturday afternoon, outdoor photos will need to wait a day or so.

In the meantime, I've been playing with another blank accordion journal from my stash.

I borrowed an old Patty Radish technique of adding "book" papers to each of the pages as the first step.  Mine include pages from thrifted books including an old typing manual, foreign language texts, shorthand (my mom was a whiz at it), and a few music sheets.


Here you can see the expanded accordion with all of the randomly arranged starter pages in place.


This journal found its name when I added the magazine cutout above to my library card pocket on the inside cover. 

I also pulled out my stack of "paper doll" figures and decided to add them throughout pages.  They've been stored long enough.


The front from one of my long-ago fabric scrap cards made a perfect backdrop on this page.


No words needed here.


I love old handwritten documents and ledger papers - I'm trying hard to use the ones I have instead of hoarding them.


I found three issues of Uppercase magazine at the thrift store.  Those have been an amazing source of images to cut and paste.


I saved this AFLAC duck from a mailing envelope - the corner became a pocket to hold one of my playing cards with buttons.


Did you ever just stand on a hill and watch the clouds go by?  

* * *

Once Spoondrift is completely finished, I'll use my evening playtime to fill in more of Lizzy's pages.

AND I'm also going to start quilting the also-pin-basted-since-September birthday placemats.  

My shoulder is holding its own so long as I don't overdo or spend too much time doing any one thing.  My interim stretches have helped, which is why I have been able to do as much as I have.

PT evaluation is Tuesday and then the regular sessions will start the following week.


Quiltdivajulie

4 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

Lizzy is a totally enchanting and wonderful journal and Uppercase must be a entrancing magazine.
Am glad your shoulder is letting your be creative even if there are temporary time limits to each activity.
Hoping you get good news at the Tuesday PT evaluation!
Lots of rain here, too, and more this afternoon.
I hope to machine quilt those little hearts for "I found a quilted heart". That activity is quick and fun after you get the fabric scrap slabs sewn together.

Hugs!

Julierose said...

I think adding a sheet to each page as a starter is a good idea, too; sometimes i just add a small fussy cut image to soften that blank pages before me...
I have been making some little improv pieces and Ojos in two sizes just really playing around a bit... this "in-between" time during the holidays has me napping and thinking about what to make/do in 2025...hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

Good to hear your health issues are all improving. Hope you are back to new in no time. I love those little paper doll images. I used to do a lot of scrapbooking back in the day when there were scrapbook stores on every corner and cell phones didn't take good pics. I still have a few scrapbooking items and I think I will have to dig them out in 2025 and do a little scrapbooking again. YOu and Julierose have been inspiring me to do that.

Nann said...

Oh, this book is so evocative! Love all of the pages. Glad you're healing, even if it is slower than you'd like.