Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Moving Forward Day by Day


As part of my post-op preparation, I've gathered some of my doodling supplies in one of my Raskog carts.  Younger son moved the cart downstairs for me and it is now in the room where I'll be spending a lot of time over the next three weeks.

There's also Lexicon - I've been gathering junk mail, etc. from which to harvest words.

And there are several online courses that haven't been watched yet (such good intentions gone astray) and as I watch them, I'll take notes in the mini-binders so that when I can get back into my studios, the notes and my thoughts about them are easy to find.

Not shown - I took one of my file boxes and gathered the household files I use the most.  They are also now downstairs on the temporary 4' table near my computer - the goal being to avoid a huge pile filled with three weeks of paper tiger backlog.


Turns out my alcohol markers bleed through mixed media paper but they don't bleed through watercolor paper.

So I'll focus the mixed media journal on doodles plus watercolors and this new one with watercolor paper can be focused on doodles plus alcohol markers.


This is the back cover of the newest blank journal.

Hopefully by the time I'm allowed to go up/down stairs again, this one won't be blank any longer.

- - -

Re my upcoming foot surgery:

My pre-op appointments have been successfully completed.  

Younger son completed his marathon gastro test and has an appointment next week to discuss treatment options (DH will take him since I won't be able to).

There's a request pending with Dr. Foot's office for a walker since the heel-walking surgical shoe makes me unsteady and it will likely be worse once pain meds are involved.

I've also requested a removable height adapter to reduce the disparity between my normal shoe and the surgical shoe.  Practicing ahead of time has made that need obvious.

Five days to go -- maybe I will be able to sneak in a little studio time in between everything else.

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Little by little, one travels far."
J.R.R. Tolkien

11 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

What brilliant pre-op preparations you've made in your home so you can be happily busy and creative as you recover from surgery.

I imagine you've been told that for the first few days after surgery your operative foot will need to elevated, perhaps higher than your heart will be (that could be old information) so have some books and favorite movies available and take the pain med for the first 3 to 4 days before you consider making do with some milder pills. Of course you'll want to doze under a favorite quilt or two!

Hope all the options are good ones for your younger son.

Wishing you and your son well!

Hugs!

Julierose said...

You are getting everything in place for post-op so well, QDJulie.
Here's hoping all goes well with the operation. I am sure it's 5 days and counting for you--sometimes I feel that the waiting can be
difficult too. Good that you are prepping so well...
Best of luck and sending good thoughts...hugs, Julierose

Juliana said...

You have made such detailed and practical preparations. Good luck with everything. We will all be thinking of you and wishing you well and speedy recovery.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I hope you get that studio time worked into your next few days.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such good planning, Julie! Best of luck with the surgery and recovery.

JustGail said...

I hope your surgery goes well, DH's vision clears up soon, and DS's treatment goes well. Nice work on your preparations to have projects at hand to work on. Smart thinking for trying the shoe out and finding issues with that ahead of time.

Nann said...

You're facing this with style and organization! Hope for a good report. (For DH and DS, too.)

Anonymous said...

Charlotta58@gmail.com here - I’m so impressed with all your preparations, and look forward to hearing how much you’re actually able to or Interested in doing while you recover. You might find that you have a lot less energy and enthusiasm than you normally do. Surgery including anesthesia and heavy antibiotics can take a heavy toll on your body, which subsequently affects your energy levels and mood. And you will need to just rest a lot to recover completely. I’m not sure how old you are or what the nature of your surgery is, but I know that the older we get, the longer it takes us to recover from any kind of assault on our body - and surgery definitely is an assault, even when it’s done to fix a problem. Also, general anesthesia is a lot harder on your body than conscious sedation or local anesthesia only, and the longer you are “under,” the longer your recovery will be. Not trying to worry you, just advice from experience. There’s no hurrying your body into a faster recovery, you have to give it the time it needs, and often that means a lot of sleeping and resting, even when that is boring. But it’s not a waste of time if it serves to get you back to good health. 🌹🪷

Mystic Quilter said...

I expected no less Julie than you would be well prepared before the surgery, very important. The walker will be excellent, avoid the chance of balance going awry. I actually have one which I have to use whenever walking outside - works beautifully. Hope the height adapter is a great help for you. Pleased to hear the gastro tests have been completed for younger son and I do hope the blurriness has cleared at this point for your DH. Hope you do spend a little time in the studio in the next few days.

Vicki W said...

You are so well prepared! I hope the surgery goes well and that your recovers is so speedy that you can't get through all of your planned activities.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I had a friend whose husband had really crazy foot surgery. They rented one of those recliner chairs that lifts you up to stand, worked real well. He also used a knee scooter to navigate so there was not weight on it.