Friday, September 27, 2024

Where Things Stand


As I stitched the final six rows together for Tuxie-Tude's top, it dawned on me that I didn't want to use the planned brights on black for backing after all.  

I want to keep the black and white theme going; so I'll use these three KF prints (onion rings, jumble, and sharks teeth) to create a giant off-center four patch and bind Tuxie-Tude with Brandon Mably's wobbly striped Creased.

I'm also going to include a vertical insert strip made from the sewn-together leftover segments (shown in the photo's foreground) edged with leftover Dr. Seuss binding.

But . . . 

There might not be much, if any, action in the studio for the next month (or so).

Dr. Foot, the ortho specialist, met with me a few days ago and told me what I suspected/feared he might.  The replacement joint in my left big toe is failing after 20 years.  That pain is radiating through the forefoot and arch and making it hard to walk.  

There's no recourse for treatment other than to replace that failing joint so, I have "reconstructive foot outpatient surgery" scheduled for October 7 with at least two pre-op appointments between now and then.  I'll be off that foot for the first three weeks other than moving from the chair to the table for meals and/or to the bathroom and back to the recliner while wearing a special heel-walking surgical shoe. 

And between now and then -- younger son has a half-day gastro procedure next week while DH's second cataract surgery is being pushed back at least two to three weeks until the last of the double vision in the first eye resolves.

Lots of multi-aspect pre-planning happening . . . so grateful for the synchronized calendars on our phones.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Keep a notebook.  Travel with it, eat with it, sleep with it.  Slap into it every stray thought that flutters into your brain.  Paper is less perishable than gray matter, and lead pencil markings endure longer than memory."
Jack London

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear that QD Julie! Sending good thoughts for all of you with all the upcoming procedures!!:(((( Boy, life does throw things at you all at once, doesn't it?
The whole B&W theme also on the back will be just lovely, I think...
I just finished sewing my backing together and am now wondering how in the heck I will quilt it--or alternatively tie it?
And, I need to order batting...so it's going to sit for a while...
hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like the idea of black and white on the back too.
I hope you heal well after the joint replacement. That's a bummer to have to sit so much.

Vicki W said...

Yes, to the all black and white! You guys have a lot going on. I hope everything goes smoothly for all of you.

Barbara Anne said...

What a lot of medical botheration! So sorry your implant failed after 20 years, but it did serve you well for most of that time. You'll be in good shape if the new one lasts 20 more years!
Wishing your sweetie and end to the annoying double vision so he can have his 2nd cataract surgery and wishing your son good news and an easy recovery.
Love your plans for Tuxie-tude and think they add to the fun of the quilt's front. Good ideas!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Our calendar for September has been filled with trips to the doctor or lab and 3 procedures. 2 for him and 1 for me. Sadly age does that. We cleared Octobber for fun stuff. It is an adjustment for age but at least I can adjust. Hang in there.

MissPat said...

Oh, my. Sending good thoughts and healing vibes to the whole family. When it rains, it pours (and not just in FL).
Pat

Mystic Quilter said...

Oh dear Julie, so very sorry to read about your upcoming surgery and recuperation!! As a quilter the weeks following the surgery won't be easy for you, no going up the stairs to your studio. I hope you younger son has a successful procedure and that DH's double vision settles very soon.
Definitely a case of having to pre-plan, plenty of reading and of course you'd be able to use your iPad.