Friday, August 9, 2024

Tropical Canyon - Moving Right Along


The first order of business was to trim the mash-mash of pieces to their most reasonably-possible widths.

These are some of the 1.5" and 2.5" strips (not shown are the dumpster diving strips).


There was one strip trimmed to 3" and two trimmed to 4"

Strips of even width were then sewn together in very long lengths before being trimmed into 80" lengths.


Second order of business was to pin the strips (by width) on the design wall so I could count how many of each I had to work with.


Next I decided the best way forward was to stitch each of the 1.5" strips to a 2.5" strip.

And when I studied this photo, I decided the 4" strip on the right just didn't work the way I thought it might.


Finally I trimmed the 3" to 2.5", unstitched two 80" pairs involving a too-dominant-and-demanding yellow, then created seven more 80" pairs as shown here looking from my pressing table towards the door.


Here I am standing at the door side of the design wall looking towards my sewing machine.

Next step will be to see if any rearranging of pairs is needed (like the same length orange and turquoise near the center) before I start sewing the pairs to each other.  I'll also add a 2.5" strip on the left edge so it echoes the one on the right.

And with 18-ish vertical seams to be sewn, there's a lot of visual shrinkage ahead.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Creating should set you free and not tie you up in rules."
Karoline Dahrling Hughes

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Boy those are really long strips to set together, QDJulie!! I know you've done those before--but I am always amazed that you can keep them aligned..
.I am still sewing my lego strips into 14"-16" strip lengths...I am not letting myself sew any together until i have a good amount to work with...I need to fill in my oranges and yellow and neutrals...so more cutting will be needed...
In the meantime still working on my Batting Book pages ...
hugs, Julierose P.S Try to stay cool...;)))

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

All of those greens make this feel like a summer scene. It is so pretty

Barbara Anne said...

What great progress you've made on this happily colorful quilt in a very short time, Julie!! Now why does the quilt make me think of that preacher named 'Jubilation T. Cornpone' from the old movie 'Lil Abner'? Must be his name.

Hugs!

Beth said...

Wow! This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing your progress! Beth in AL

Mystic Quilter said...

Breathtaking, a feast for the senses on your design wall right now, I love it!! You've hit on a marvellous way of combining all sorts of strips and strata And colour together, I'd love to do this one day. Thank you for explaining the process, it's always interesting to read how you come up with the idea and move forward.

Sally Langston Warren said...

I have loved all your quilts utilizing bits and pieces left over from other quilts. I am still working on using red, white, and blue scraps to make table runners/table toppers to display during the Memorial Day to Labor Day patriotic period. I made one for myself and now my sisters want one. Seeing and hearing your thought process of organizing and sizing the strips helped me with my thought process! (And also helped motivate me to keep at it!)

Cherie Moore said...

Visual shrinkage! Perfectly describes the phenomenon ;-)