A background project over the past few weeks has been sorting and editing my stash of buttons. Some came from our grandmothers, others came from mothers of friends, and some were mine.
I also had a big stack of random playing cards . . . suddenly one plus one equaled a most excellent idea.
I sewed the buttons onto the playing cards (holes were pre-punched with an awl to reduce stress on my hands), knotting off the threads on the back side.
This spinning tea bag caddy (found online) turned out to be the perfect way to display the results.
Here is one example showing three of the cards with their attached buttons.
And here are three more.
I also used a few more playing cards for my quilt show pins and added those cards into the mix in the tea caddy.
The whole thing just makes me happy - less stuff in the drawer and more fun things to see in the studio.
Another "improvement" is how I store my assorted balls of Perle cotton.
I'm not sure where online I saw someone using cardboard egg cartons for this purpose, but a single recently-emptied clear plastic egg carton handled my stash perfectly.
I finally came up with a fun way to get my two charm bracelets out of a drawer where I can see and enjoy them.
This is the lamp connected to the power strip on my pressing table. If the iron is on, so is the lamp.
And finally, look what Young Man included in his summer writing journal . . . (click here to see the "cwillt" in question)
I still can't believe he'll be 8 in just a few short days and start second grade on August 12.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"My biggest inspiration is simple. Smiles and gratitude."
Susie Nicholson






9 comments:
Wow!! Always love your projects, and the button playing cards and charm bracelet idea are some of my favorites yet! Please keep on creating and inspiring!
You certainly have been busy with colors and thread! I tend to forget to make my own work space look good. I guess I am just too preoccupied with what I am working on to make the effort.
I am in the midst of renovating (or cleaning out or refreshing or revamping….not sure what is best description) my sewing room. Enjoy hearing/seeing ideas you have implemented in yours! Have you ever considered wearing your two linked charm bracelets as a necklace? It’s really neat and I am sure very interesting!
I like the button cards, and the tea caddy. I'm all for cutting down plastic packaging in stores, but now I wish the store I go to carried eggs in plastic cartons. Nice that you figured out a way to display the bracelets - so many have been torn apart. I wonder what happened to the one I had in high school...
Young Man made a keeper of a journal entry!
What an adorable journal entry from Little Man---I love it!!
Your button cards are so cute--bringing old-timey button cards into the present beautifully!! I actually have a few older button cards from my Grand-mere.
they ae on memory scrapbook pages...
A real scorcher here today...definitely an inside day what with the added "air quality alerts". Hugs for a great weekend Julierose
What a delightful way to save and store your buttons. So fun to look at. You have quite a collection of charms. I ought to find a place to display my bracelet - you've given me an idea.
Your button collection is so cute now but it made me laugh out loud. I have a file cabinet full of buttons. That project would take me a lifetime! LOL!
What a brilliant idea for displaying your button and playing card collection! Just stunning. I like your other ideas, too, and your grandson's journal entry is beyond precious.
The buttoned-up cards are charming! I'm currently reading a book about English-language dictionaries (going back to the 13th century) and "cwillt" would be quite correct.
Post a Comment