DH did a closet clean out the other day and I nabbed these three shirts from his "discard" pile.
But what to do with them?
Step one was to visit the stash and gather some likely suspects that might play well together.
Step two was to see if I had yardage in the stash that would work for a pieced backing.
YES, indeed - a mix of these KF fabrics plus the Windham print at the top to potentially use for binding.
After looking at the photos above on the computer instead of my phone, I decided to add more colors to the mix. I'm sure there will be additional editing, notably adding a bit of pink, removing a few of the darker purples, and editing out some of the too-many grays.
I've decided to go with a plan that combines the approaches used for Metamorphosis (2017), Groundhog Day (2018), and Abendrot (2024, waiting to be quilted).
Why? I've always loved the Candy Coated design by Amanda Jean Nyberg from her book with Cheryl Arkison titled Sunday Morning Quilts and I thoroughly enjoy playing with the iterations possible with coin quilts (see this page for more of those).
* * *
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"The hardest part of any work is starting something. Once I have begun then the art takes on a life of its own -- creating it becomes more of a conversation."
Julie Paschkis
9 comments:
ooh nice collection of fabrics and they do play well together...
Oh neat shirts you were able to grab there;))) This should be a really interesting piece to watch take shape with all those fabrics, QDJulie;)))
I am still "lego-ing" away here--I have 10 slabs so far and will be working on more--still no idea what direction or how I will put them together as yet...hugs, Julierose
Ooh, aah, SHIRTS!! Will be fun watching this quilt evolve :-). I’m currently working on Sumatra’s Winter pattern (last one in Cultural Fusions) from shirts. To my disgust, one of the shirts I pulled was a polyester blend…..the smell when ironing is unmistakable, blurg…..
Just seeing piles of coordinating fabrics is exciting. I had a friend who owned a quilt shop that had a knack of putting together fabric groups. She didn't sew, but she sold lots of those groups to ladies who did. We, luckily, can just go to our stashes and make these lovely piles.
What fun to save found fabric from these shirts that are made from cotton, after all!
I looked at your links and LOVE Buttercream! The frosting, too ...
It seems I like the Coins quilts with their sideways strips more than the vertical strips. Never thought of that before.
Hugs!
Men’s shirts make great backs for cushions. Just cut out a square the size of the cushion, centering the button strip in the square. The buttons make the perfect way to open the cushion cover to insert the pillow form. I made a really cute Christmas cushion with DH’s green check shirt on the back. Candy
This will be interesting. The "go-with" fabrics are wonderful. Look forward to the combos you finalize.
Such fun to begin a new pull of fabrics and you have some beauties here! I have always enjoyed seeing your coin quilts collection! This particular design in the book is one I love to look at, often thought I should make one as I love working with strips, I love using KF fabrics this way. I look forward to seeing which fabrics don't make it into the quilt.
The shirts put me in mind of a scrap quilt pattern from....Judy Hopkins? Every time I come across it I tell myself I'd like to try it. If I find it I'll try to remember to share the photo with you..........
Post a Comment