Friday, August 16, 2024

Old Books - a New Quilt Begins


Audrey's recent post (CLICK HERE) sent me scurrying to the stash.


In 2004, when I was a very new quilt maker, I made a quilt named Decadent Dreaming for our chocolate-loving oldest son and his also-a-chocolate-loving fiancé (gifted Christmas 2005).

The remains from a few of those gorgeous browns are still in my stash, and when I saw Audrey's Folksy Baskets quilt top I knew exactly what I wanted/needed to do -- use them to create another "two-color" Macnas-inspired quilt.  

But what to name this project?  When I asked DH and YS, they suggested Chocolate Cream (as in pie) and Waffle Cone (as in ice cream).  Hmmmm . . . good but not quite the vibe I was feeling.

(photos above are from unknown online sources)

That evening I went to put something on my art table and noticed  a pile of vintage books waiting to be put away . . . .  and the quilt-to-be instantly named itself.

OLD BOOKS (updated to VELLICHOR - "the strange romance evoked by the scent of old books and paper."


No time table for Vellichor beyond getting the strips cut and the stacks of yardage and scraps off my cutting table so I can pin baste Spoondrift.  In the meantime, I am going to re-read this book.  I loved it the first time so I'm looking forward to another visit.

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"The principle of true art is not to portray, but to evoke."
Jerzy Kosinski

6 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

A lot of people don't see the potential for brown fabric, but I love it too. I think you have inspired me to make a simple design in brown.

Cherie Moore said...

I like browns, nice toasty warm browns…..hmmm, might need to pull some brown shirts out ;-). I’ve not read that book so thanks for that as well!

Julierose said...

Oh I re-read a lot of books, too--they are like good friends...;)))
You have a great selection of browns to work with there...
Looking forward to seeing how it comes together...
hugs for a great weekend Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

I LOVE Decadent Dreaming and am interested in what pattern(s) you're planning to use for those yummy Old Books fabrics?

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait for this one. i did a Black, Brown and Cream and loved the combination.

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm a true re-reader of favourite books, in fact a few I have read more times than twice and always enjoy. Looking forward to seeing the quilt made with your collection of brown and cream fabrics.