Thursday, June 27, 2024

Update on Young Man and Mud Camp


This was the "look" after his first day at camp.  

His feet inside the washable shoes were dirtier than the shoes!

(Thankfully, his fever finally broke and he was able to attend Mud Camp as planned.  Turned out the long version of the strep test was positive even though the rapid test was negative.  That meant he didn't start on the antibiotics until he was several days into the fever.  Accordingly, even with the absence of fever, he stayed with his parents Monday and Tuesday night but as of Wednesday a.m. he is staying with us.  Dee Dah takes him to camp in the morning and I pick him up in the afternoon.  We are all SO grateful to see him feeling better every day and eating well again.)


This is the tie dye shirt he made on Day 1.  

There's a huge 2024 on the back along with the camp sponsors' logos - much like a runner's event shirt.


This was the scene when I picked him up Wednesday afternoon.

(it had rained earlier in the day, hence the water droplets on the windshield and the damp atmosphere outdoors)

Mud Camp offers extended care in the morning and afternoon but because we are so close, he doesn't need either one - although he'd like to stay longer . . .  

The 3 pm carpool line behind me was much longer than the line in front of me - I was impressed that pick up was so well organized and efficiently run.


I love this sign . . . thankfully we are used to tick checks after the many, many years of Boy Scout camping by both of our boys and DH (former Scoutmaster).

Highlights for Young Man have included playing in the giant mud pit, swimming in the lake, paddling a single and two-person kayak on the lake, doing the long zip line through the woods multiple times, playing ga-ga ball in the second mud pit, and going down the huge water slide into the lake over and over - along with being part of all the other cool stuff they offer.  And the best part is he still has two more full days of fun to enjoy!

The link below takes you to a 4-minute promo video for the annual camp - it's no wonder YM comes home each day telling us it was "Uber-fun" and "super awesome" and "waaaaay more fun than school."




Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"I love places where there are crowds of trees."
Nitin Namdeo

8 comments:

Sally Langston Warren said...

Of course it’s waaayyyy more fun than school!! It sounds awesome! Isn’t it fun to send him off in the morning, seeing how excited he is to go? I love the phrase “crowds of tree” in your quote. I have never heard it put that way. I love crowds of trees and there are fewer and fewer….I fondly remember a crowd of trees between our house and the next door neighbor’s when I was very young. I don’t know why I always remember that….there have been much larger yards and more trees since then! “Crowd of trees” is a perfect description and I shall use it henceforth!

Cherie Moore said...

Oh so glad YM is on the mend and getting back to full health. What a camp! The ones I went to weren’t that fun ;-)

Julierose said...

Oh that is so great to hear that he is better and able to attend his Mud Camp!!
Looks like he had a bang up time of it, too;)))
Hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

How marvelous to let kids enjoy dirt, water, and mud! Where was this camp when I was a kid in Memphis??

Love the shirt and the sign for doing a tick check.

Hugs!

Nancy said...

So happy to hear Mud Camp was not a "miss" due to illness. That would have been uber-disappointing! ga-ga ball... now that's new to me. But mud I know. And swimming and paddling and the other "way fun" things. What a memorable summer experience for all the campers.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I had never heard of a mud camp before and can see how it would be attractive to the young ones. I'm glad YM was able to attend.

The Joyful Quilter said...

So glad he's feeling better and able to enjoy a few days of Mud Camp. It sounds like so much fun! If you like that sort of thing...

Janice said...

That sounds like one fantastic Camp. Unfortunately I think camps like that are a thing of the past 4-H camp and Church camp if at all are not the same but I know I'm old. I love reading your time and adventures with your YM.
Janice.