Wednesday, June 26, 2024

ROYGBIV Series Complete


All eight of my ROYGBIV journals are assembled and "done" . . . subject to adding more found bits over time.

The photos below feature my final two journals - "warm neutrals" and "the blues."


Warm neutral cover.


Who else remembers taking typing class in high school?  


A fragment from one of my mother's Simplicity patterns and a vintage button card.


An old recipe and an old postcard with fabulous penmanship on the reverse side (the Kraft envelope is one my DIL used to send a card my way).


Lace fragment from my collegiate summer in Finland and one of my grandmother's crocheted doilies embellished with a vintage button.


Random bits of papers - graph, rice, map, magazine, tea-dyed learn-to-print, and vintage book.

I added flat lace trim to seven or eight of the pages - the color palette pretty much demanded it.


On to the "the blues" journal.


For some reason the juxtaposition of the underwater bookplate and the blue skies phrase tickled me.


Blueberries from a Pete the Cat book turned into a pocket for the Chihuly tag, a bit of scrapbook paper, and a magazine illustration.


A group of interestingly random pieces.


Two pockets  containing a vintage game card and the LOL postcard sent from Nann's stash.


I love including vintage seed packets in these journals.

* * *

Technically these eight volumes are more "glue book" than journal, but I'm not big on using the technically correct terminology (any more than I 'm a fan of popular genre or style labels for my quilts).

These books were originally the annual calendar journals I kept next to the sewing machine during my earlier years of quilt making.  Instead of letting them sit ignored while taking up valuable shelf space, I've given them new life as "altered books" . . . so I call them my ROYGBIV journals for the sake of simplicity.

This has been a super fun project that has allowed me to use a whole lot of little bits of all sorts.  Much better to use these little bits instead of accumulating and storing!

And, if you're interested in seeing the earlier volume reveal posts, just click on the ROYGBIV label below.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"We can only connect the dots we collect . . . Your connections are the thread that you weave into the cloth that becomes your story that only you can tell."
Amanda Powell

4 comments:

Julierose said...

Beautiful Journal finishes, QDJulie;))) Great idea to do them in colors....
Nice work hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on completing your collection, while giving your old quilt journals new life! I missed your Monday post. Congrats on the replacement mailbox, too!

Barbara Anne said...

Wonderful and congratulation for being finished (unless more items that fit are found)!!!! I have so many collected and saved 'giblets' that I should follow your stellar example but don't have the energy to be organized enough to start.

Yes, I took typing in summer school when I was 16 because my mother was a secretary and was sure I needed to learn to type. The class was on the third floor in my un-airconditioned high school in suburban Chicago. Typing skills have come in handy as Mom said they would.

Hugs!

Nancy said...

How lovely and satisfying these look all lined up on display. The warm neutral has some really special additions. And the low contrast is so pleasing. Really nice job.