THIS happened Thursday afternoon . . .
Even though their training teaches NEVER back up, a two-week employee did just that and her U-Haul-substitute-Amazon van knocked over our mailbox.
We've found a contractor and the supplies are at the curb waiting for the weather to cooperate. They had planned to start work on Saturday but, despite the forecast, it rained.
And yes, Amazon has agreed to reimburse us or pay the contractor directly.
I had a bonus chance to choose some new annuals for our yard last week. The selection at this point offers mostly full sun plants and a lot of hanging baskets so I picked out these Lantana and three more dracaena spikes.
In early spring DH planted three 'cherry' tomatoes in the grow boxes. We later learned they were "determinate" plants meaning all the tiny tomatoes arrived at once.
The plants looked more like undersized shrubs but the real kicker was the yucky taste of the fruit - mealy with tough skins and zero flavor.
Needless to say, those plants are gone and the empty planters that sit outside our sunroom window are now home to those new Lantana plants.
In the studio I got busy and cut up the blues pulled for Reverie along with a stack of black and white fabrics from the resource box. The two stacks in the rear contain enough rectangles to make the planned quilt top ala Macnas.
The black and whites in the front will go towards another planned top named TUXIE-TUDE where they'll be paired with a scrappy mix of white on black fabrics.
The excess blue 2.5" x 4.5" rectangles will be counted, labeled, and set aside as seeds for "someday."
* * *
Elsewhere in the house, younger son has been sick since early last week with a big-time summer cold /horrendous cough. Our doctor talked with him late Friday and prescribed some precautionary meds due to our son's history of viral pneumonia. We're to call the office Monday morning and make a follow-up in-person appointment.
(Covid tests continue to be negative)
Sadly, Dr. W. will be able to check me at the same time as I'm now coughing and have the early-stage runny nose and bleary head.
DH is staying outdoors or in his workshop/studio as much as possible and we don't blame him a bit for avoiding us.
Sigh . . .
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"Creative people need time to sit around and do nothing."
Austin Kleon




12 comments:
Feel better, my friend; there's nothing worse than a summer cold. Well, yes, there are certainly WORSE things, but you know what I mean! The mailbox fiasco is a shame, so sorry that happened to you. I had a similar incident years ago with our mail carrier. She never stopped but drove away w/ our box and post on the ground! I called the local PO and reported her. She came back out and apologized but only because I had called her on it! So infuriating!! Your cut and readied pieces are lovely and will no doubt be transformed into drool-worthy treasures!
Oh so sorry to hear you've caught that "bug"--hoping you feel better soon...
You have a beautiful stack of blues and B&W's to work with on your proposed
Reverie piece--will be looking forward to seeing how it goes...take care
hugs, Julierose
I hope you feel better soon, and that it's a cold.
Stinks about the mailbox, hope that is better soon too. At least A says they will pay for the damage, now for them to follow through.
And bummer on the nasty tomatoes, at least lantana will be pretty to look at.
That's 3 things to have gone wrong, hopefully you will have clear sailing for a while now?
A Covid test is one you WANT to fail, for sure. If that's your mailbox, that delivery van/truck must have quite a dent in it! Macnas will look great in blue.
Love the interesting beginnings of a couple of quilts and a "someday" in your box!
Wishing you and your son a quick return to full health and that your hubby will be spared somehow. Being sick is no fun and coughing a lot is a misery. Thera-Flu might help the symptoms. Meanwhile, comfy clothes, a quilt or two, and nourishing soup. Milk will thicken all secretions. Charming, huh?
Hugs!
I hope that you and your son feel better soon. Your quote for the day is appropriate.
Make sure your Vit D levels are between 80 and 90 with magnesium, zinc and K2. They are the best for respiratory issues. On Saturday I heard a beep beep beep and looked out my front window to see an Amazon truck backing into my son's driveway almost into their new White Tiguan. To turn around. Backing up in someone's driveway? Hope the new mailbox post gets done soon and correctly. Love the blues!
I am so sorry. It is no fun to feel sick. Sorry about the mail box, too. But I love your quote. I will definitely use it!
That's good news that Amazon will pay for the mailbox repair, an inconvenience that you shouldn't have had to deal with.
Cutting seems to take as long as the sewing so you are ahead now on some projects. I'm in the cutting stage now too.
I hope you and your son will both be better soon.
Oh my, what a time you're having Julie!! At least you were able to select new plants and cut fabrics, but sorry to hear that younger son is so unwell AND that you are now unwell, with what sounds to be the same illness. Good luck with doctor visits and take things easy.
My husband and I are just on the mend from the summer cold we contracted from our infant grandson. It was a doosy, so I feel your pain. Get well fast! We have a large log archway across our driveway (we live in the mountains) and a delivery truck once backed into and the entire thing came falling down! SO glad nobody was standing or driving nearby when it came down! It cost $13,000 to replace and the company paid the bill - whew! Love your blue piles and look forward to seeing what you create :)
No fun to be sick any time, but especially in the summer. Wishing both of you a swift recovery. I hope the mailbox is fixed soon and that Amazon is prompt with the payment. I planted some lantana this year, too.
Pat
Post a Comment