Thursday, June 13, 2024

Black and White ROYGBIV Journal Done


I didn't feel good enough to sew let alone handling the rotary cutter, so I worked on the black and white ROYGBIV journal.  

It is "done" for now but there are quite a few blank pages that can be filled going forward as items of interest present themselves.


DH likes this bird and I must say that cutting out so many letters for my Abecedarium project has greatly improved my fussy cutting skills.


I chanced upon a $2 thrifted book filled with black and white photographs taken by Frank M. Hohenberger, the unofficial photographer laureate of Indiana.  

I've used quite a few of his photos in this journal - they're timeless and haunting.  The quotes came from all over but they absolutely belonged with these photographs.


The spiral-bound now-altered book itself was my 2018 quilt log.  Every so often a bit of multicolor ink shows around the edges.  


Who else has stood and gazed into the basin of a large civic fountain?  I know I have.


The gray scrapbook paper backgrounds came from an early 2023 purchase.

Finally I have found a grand way to use them.


Having lived in Indiana for many years when our boys were babies, toddlers, and lower elementary school students, we saw many buildings like this one.  


I've had the typewriter sticker for a long time - and this page tickles me.


Exploring was the beyond-perfect word for this photograph.


Black and white logos cut from advertising and packaging.


The final page (left) bears a vellum pocket made from paper rescued from one of Young Man's long ago Kiwi Crate kits.

The inside back cover (right) features the thrifted book's cover photo.


And in my stash of abandoned old thrifted/rescued photos, I found these two that now live inside the vellum pocket.

The back of the car photo bears the inscription "Pop's car 1946" so the time period is exactly right.

* * * 

There are two more ROYGBIV journals planned - one in warm neutrals and the other in blues.  I've started assessing what I have for the warm neutrals version so time will tell how that evolves.  

(by using the ROYGBIV label below, you can scroll through all of this project's previous posts)

p.s. All of us are recovering slowly - our energy comes and goes as does our ability to concentrate - darn summer colds!


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"It is better to something than to do nothing while waiting to do everything." 
Winston Churchill

6 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love this! The B&W photos and the quotes~ well done! I've scrolled up and down several times, taking it all in. You have a true knack for this. Feel better, my friend, I saw a "Stash" tag, sipping some hot tea might help right about now. Hugs~

Julierose said...

Love the B&W little girl with her basket !! B&W photos are my favorite...I used to have a small "closet" darkroom that Tom made for me and developed my own--now everything is digital;)))
Lovely Book you've put together--very evocative...
Hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

Another brilliant unique on the planet book and I, too, love the photos and quotations. Applause!!

Am glad y'all are feeling better.

Hugs!

Linda Swanekamp said...

B&W photos have such a unique mood. I used to do B&W photography and used my father in laws darkroom. I wish I knew where all those photos are. It was magic to develop them and alter them.

Nancy said...

What an inviting book to page through! Feel better soon.

Mystic Quilter said...

Another amazing journal from you Julie!I do love the photographs included in the pages and good for you carrying on when not feeling too well!