Friday, June 21, 2024

Hoppipolla - the NEW Flimsy


I finished this version of Hoppipolla's flimsy in August 2021 (you can read the long and winding backstory that started way back in 2017 HERE).

I never really loved the yellow even though technically it "worked" with the top and proposed backing, so I put the top into my "waiting to be quilted" closet and moved on.


In November of that year, I unstitched the too-gaudy yellow and cut strips of Brandon Mably's Jumble to use instead.

But for some unknown reason, I didn't sew them on.  I just draped them over the folded flimsy's hanger.


Fast forward to this week.

After shifting the squirrel print backing from Hoppipolla to Reverie (see this post) and moving the backing yardage from Colsie (blocks donated to Linda S. to become a comfort quilt) to Hoppipolla, I sat on the back porch and unstitched the solid blue inner border.

I also removed one column of 19 blocks in order to reposition them as an additional row (an overall shift from 48" x 60" to 45" x 63").


After restitching the ends of the affected seams, I took the reconfigured flimsy (now 49" x 67") into the room with my stash and started "shopping" to see what I had for a border (to protect all those exposed seam ends).

I'm SO pleased with the results and so glad I waited until I finally figured out what this super scrappy quilt wanted!


I chose this print by Carolyn Frielander / Robert Kaufman ("Kept" no. 20135) because I wanted something to echo the light center strips of the 3" blocks but I needed something that didn't fade to nothingness.


I'll use the same fabric for binding.

And as soon as I get the back's center seam sewn and the backing pressed, Hoppipolla will be rolled onto my pool noodles and then pin basted.

It's time to get this beauty quilted!

Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things a different way."
Edward de Bono

13 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

i totally love this...such a beautiful scrappy...most are i think...and you have inspired me to tackle some of my scraps making one...

Julierose said...

Beautiful outcome with your new border--it really goes perfectly!!
I hope you have a great upcoming weekend...hugs, Julierose

Cherie Moore said...

Wow, the new border fabric is perfect…..it needed an “un-Julie” fabric to make this one sing ;-).

Nann said...

Looks as though the third time was the charm! Good for you to persist until you got it to suit yourself.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Excellent! What a difference the "just right" fabric makes. Good thinking, Julie.

Barbara Anne said...

I'm glad you were listening to your cheerful quilt so it's finally got the correct border fabric!

Hope you didn't do your wrists a mischief with all of that un-stitching.

Hugs!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Choosing border fabrics is so hard, especially when there are a lot of colors in the main part of the top. This last one is a winner and the quilt feels so much calmer.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, the third time is the charm. Works fantastically and lets the pieces of the quilt shine. Sometimes, it just stalls until the right fabric. Got the blocks and planning how to handle them. I love, love the fabrics. As much as I hater ripping, I force myself because in the long run, I would regret it and then I enjoy the piece fixed.

Vicki W said...

That was an excellent change!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Yes! Perfect!! Sometimes things just need to "steep" a bit to reach their potential. You nailed this one.

greaterexp said...

Your patience paid off! It's so tempting to add something to a quilt just to get it finished, but your new border suits the quilt much better than the bright yellow.

Millie said...

Love the new border!

Mystic Quilter said...

How I love reading all about your changing around blocks, borders and starters and so on!! Nice mailbox Julie, heaps of room for the occasional box of fabric. Luscious colours ready to go for the backing of TT and sorry to read that Young Man is not well, hope they soon come up with an answer