Sunday, March 10, 2024

Studio Time Pays Off


As I stitched together the final seven blocks for Dumpster Diving 12 - Confetti, I stitched one HST at the beginning and end of each DD seam.

By the time I finished the seventh DD12 block, I had also sewn 130 HSTs together!   

(the ones with the green fabric facing up are the ones that are sewn, the 60 pink-side-up pairs are still pinned)


I just had to press four sets of eight HSTs . . . 


Then once the final blocks for DD12 were pressed and squared, they were laid out on the design wall.

One of the reasons this project has been stalled is that the wide sashing and cornerstone approach was not making me happy.


So instead of cutting the sashing strips at 2.5" for a 2" finish, I will cut them at 1.5" for a 1" finish.

(the one above was cut at 1" so I could visualize my plan)


Oh, yes - this approach I like.  


I'll trim down the already-cut green strips and cut some new ones at 3.5" for a border that will be trimmed back to 2" after FMQ.

I pulled out the leftover backing from Young Man's quilt (he's graduated from Little Man - thanks for the suggestion Elaine) and added it to the yardage purchased for DD12 (shown on the left).

It feels so good to see such definite progress on two different projects!


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"I think rules are the ruination of the art world."
Iris Apfel

7 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

What joy-joy colors and I agree the more narrow green sashing looks better and isn't yelling "LOOK at ME" like the wider strips did. Good call!

Ah, all too soon Little Man is Young Man. My baby will be 40 next month. Gulp.

Hugs!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Yes, the narrow sashing is wonderful. The fabrics in the HSTs are luscious and remind me of spring. My little man turned 14 last week. He is almost taller than I am (I am 5'8"). Thank goodness I have one more little man in PA who is 5.

Nann said...

Bright and busy! The green sashing will provide a pathway. And, wow, that backing print!

Jeannine said...

Hi Julie! Can you tell me about your clips and/or provide a link? I’m wondering if you're using the more expensive Wonder Clips or a less expensive version and how you like them? Thanks!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Good call on the narrower sashing, Julie, and moving TWO projects along at once!

Mystic Quilter said...

Ah - good old Lego blocks, they're so colourful! Seems like you have 13 strips in yours, mine have 10, think you had the better measurement there.

Barb said...

love your scrappy project. Makes me want to run upstairs and start digging around to make a brick block.