Monday, June 27, 2022

La Colcha de Muchos Colores - the Quilt


I finished the free motion quilting on La Colcha after dinner Saturday and sent this photo to Little Man's mommy and daddy so they could show him the progress.



I used the excess trimmed from the quilt's backing to make binding and then called it a day.



Sunday afternoon the binding was sewn onto the quilt.  



As soon as the final stitches were completed I hurried directly outdoors to take photos with peals of thunder as the soundtrack.

La Colcha de Muchos Colores (the quilt of many colors) measures 61" wide x 78" long.

Quilted with my liberated free motion all over nested spiral fans using Affinity Rainbow (variegated) as the top thread and Glide Shadow in the bobbin.

(the last rain here was before my trip to NH so any rainfall potential is met with much anticipation - sadly, despite all the thunder, what had been predicted as over an inch measured less than a tenth of an inch at our house)


I love the pop of shifting colors along the quilt's edge.




Once again I have to say that Little Man chose the perfect backing for his quilt.

(you can read all of the previous posts for this Camp Sefton quilt project by clicking on the La Colcha label at the end of this post or in the sidebar)


The variegated top thread shows best on the dark blue Jumble and on the purple feather swirl print.  

On the other colors it more or less disappears while depth and richness to the quilted texture.




Am I happy with the results?  

YES.

Little Man took his new quilt home after Sunday's family dinner.  

He was pretty happy, too.

(an understatement if ever there was one)



This photo of Little Man and his daddy was taken near lunchtime on Sunday during a free roller skate rental event downtown.  

Photographic proof that time really does fly - Little Man is now just weeks away from turning six.    



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“I have always believed in the magic of childhood and think that if you get your life right, that magic should never end.”
Colin Thompson

14 comments:

Julierose said...

They certainly do grow up quickly--"tempus fugit" for sure!!
The quilt of many colors is such a cheerful and colorful one!! I am sure he will love it!! Nice work the two of you! Hugs, Julierose

Just Ducky said...

Love the backing! Like fireworks going off.

Mari said...

What a great quilt, with a great story! I love the big blocks with the separating stripes so that the fabric shines. He certainly has an eye for color, too, and I'm willing to bet he slept under his quilt no matter the temperature. Great finish, and I'm sure there will be more from your future quilt artist.

sue s said...

This has been such fun to watch. Little Man has created a beautiful quilt with his grandma!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

it is FABULOUS!!!!
He has an amazing eye for color... I am thinking it is genetic since his Grandma has such a great eye too!!! LOVE it!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a nice generous size for little man's quilt. That will be usable all through his life if it lasts that long.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The quilt lives up to its name. It is wonderful. I can hear the mariachi band. These kids grow up so fast. It was my younger grandson's birthday this weekend- 4, and I took the older ones to see him (12 and 10). Violet is 7 months. The four of them together was amazing as they don't often get to see each other.

Cathy said...

Wonderful! So full of memories for you and Little Man! Oh they do grow up fast. I like your quote today.

Vicki W said...

Who wouldn't be happy with that quilt? It's wonderful!

Paulette said...

La colcha de muchos colores es fabuloso! Truly a wonderful quilt, one that brings happiness now and many good memories in the years to come for both of you!

Mystic Quilter said...

Great finish and a good size, he must be thrilled with his new quilt and bet he was snuggling under it when he arrived home.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a wonderful collaborative effort, Julie!! Turning 6 soon? Boy, will he have some awesome reminders of being 5!

MissPat said...

Little Man will remember the fun he had with you every time he uses his quilt. It turned out great and that backing is perfect.
Pat

Ann said...

Such a colorful quilt. You won't be able to call him Little Man much longer. I can't believe how much he's grown.