Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Ruth Moves Forward


Hmmmm . . . there's something unusual in my sewing studio.


Why?

These new LED ceiling lights were ordered weeks ago but between the first set being damaged by the shipper/returned to Amazon before being delivered to us and the second "expedited" set being caught up in the snow/ice last week, it took a bit longer for them to arrive than we expected.


Here are the other three laid out on Max's table.


And here they are installed.  

The light quality is so much better.  

(my old fluorescent fixtures were installed a long time ago - maybe 2010'ish?)


With so much fabulous light, it was obvious I needed to not only clean up the small amount of installation "dirt" but a lot of other dirt that hadn't been particularly visible.

(note to self:  I really need to schedule a more regular cleaning routine for this room)


After another afternoon sewing session, there are fourteen blocks for Ruth on the design wall.

Anticipated size is 50" x 70" which means I needed my sturdy two-step stool to get the top row of 8" x 14" blocks pinned to the design wall.  

(but now that I can visualize the size of the quilt, I'll wait to finish adding blocks to that top row - no sense in tempting fate)

The next eight blocks (on the stack of plates) are ready to assemble.


I didn't want a quilt with high contrast blocks so I'm liking the rather mysterious way KF's multi-color strips behave when randomly sub-cut.  But in some cases, at least right now, there are a couple of blocks that seem muddy.

So, when layout time arrives I'll have four extra blocks to work with and, if problem blocks remain after that I'll go back to the stash and cut more strips as needed.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Creativity is a continual surprise."
Ray Bradbury

8 comments:

Julierose said...

Just beautiful blocks you've made--the colors are lovely together. Great that you have excellent lighting now. I need to get some good light in my dark-ish room. I have one window but the full sun streaming in just washes everything out...looks like you are "on a roll" with this one hugs, Julierose

Barbara Anne said...

Good plans, not to climb until necessary and to return to your stash prn (medical for 'as needed') for more glorious fabrics. Just like the Ruths in your family history, this quilt will be wonderfully comforting and richly colorful.

3 cheers for better lighting, too!

Hugs!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

A few muddy blocks make the 'star' blocks shine brighter. I think it is fun to do a low contrast quilt now and then.

dq said...

You have a lovely and large sewing space - envious!
Enjoy it!

Linda Swanekamp said...

During the pandemic, my husband redid the basement with my longarm. Took down the disgusting drop panel ceiling and painted the joists white so it looks like a loft. In between the joists, he put LED strip lights and my, the longarm has so much illumination without any annoying shadows. I bought a big new puff LED light for the ceiling in my sewing room and an adjustable LED light for the sewing machines that swivels and bends in so many ways to see the needle and the seams. Light is everything.

Nann said...

LEDs are such an improvement over fluorescents! We had the 8-foot fixture in the laundry room replaced with two 4-foot LEDs. (Changing those 8-foot tubes was a pain.) What a difference!.........I agree re: Kaffe prints with their ability to blend and contrast simultaneously.

Ann said...

Our lights are all switched to LED but the room where I quilt is still dark. The light is poorly located. Congratulations on yours. It looks great.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on the new lighting, Julie! My studio could benefit from the same.