Monday, January 22, 2024

Heart Throb (the Flimsy) and Ruth Begins


Heart Throb is now a flimsy.  

27" wide x 45" long 

Once quilted, HT will hang on our dining room wall next month.

(made with Flirt charm squares by Moda)


I promised myself that once Heart Throb's top was webbed, I could start on one of my waiting projects.

You can see Ruth's introductory post HERE.  

And what I had forgotten was that, in addition to being the name of DH's maternal grandmother, my maternal great grandfather's sister was named Ruth Lena -- which makes this quilt's name Ruth even more appropriate.


It was wonderful having the strips already cut, sorted, and paired - I could open the project box and just start sewing.

Here are the first six blocks on the design wall.


These are the rest of the strip sets sewn, ready for their first pressing.

When the final sub sets are cut, there's a small piece leftover.  The width varies depending on the particular set of strips since some are longer than others.  

I'm saving those to create a colorful insert strip for the backing.






This photo shows the form I use to keep track of my notes for each project.  

Finally, here's the link to the Maggie Pearl free download.

* * *
Most of the area schools are still closed due to lingering ice and, for many areas the extremely low water pressure caused by too many broken water mains/pipes.  

LM's school is open but the children have to bring their own lunches and bottled water since the Memphis water system has a boil water advisory in place.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance."
Coco Chanel

7 comments:

Julierose said...

Love how Heart throb is coming together--perfect for February's wall hanging...
I am stitching my binding in place on Christmas Ojos table topper for my first "FINISHED" piece of 2024--hope to see it done this week....
Still pretty cold here--12 this morning--predicted warming trend--but not so far here....hugs, Julierose

cityquilter grace said...

gorgeous wild fabrics on Ruth....love the blocks!

Barbara Anne said...

Love heart throb but I've just discovered I have the unanticipated urge that I'd add another vertical row so that either the red or the light squares would end up in all 4 corners.

The fabrics for Ruth are just glorious and it's nice to imagine all of the heavenly Ruths are delighted. :)

When I was a child, Memphis often had snow and we could usually count on several snow days off of school, knowing that 2" would paralyze the city. I remember waking to that hushed white glow from outside and think SNOW DAY!!

Hugs!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I like Heart Throb, but oh, Ruth! That is going to be a stunner. And, my favorite grandmother's name was Ruth.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Fabrics for Ruth are so pretty!

MissPat said...

I absolutely love that Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements backing fabric. Well, I love nearly all your fabrics. I went back to look at the first "Ruth" post and then went back a post and found the fabric pull for "Tussie Mussie". Did Tussie Musie ever get made? Is it under another name? That was a gorgeous backing fabric as well.
Pat

Nann said...

That backing fabric is gorgeous and it is perfect for the design and fabric you've chosen. You'll do Ruth (which ever Ruth!) proud.