Sunday, January 22, 2023

Introducing Ruth


So what did I do on National Squirrel Appreciation Day?

I played in the stash instead of working on things that I should have been doing.  


I've had the Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements yardage for quite a while (center - from his Abandoned line, Rue le Peltier) but have never found a quilt that it suited.

So this time I created a fabric pull to suit the backing.

The fabrics on either side are from the Kaffe Collective except for one (lower left, second fabric) which is by Anna Marie Horner (one of the few of hers I own).


And rather than squash the fabric pull into a project box, I went ahead and cut the sets of WOF strips for a Maggie Pearl quilt (free downloadable design from Penelope Handmade).

While cutting, I started calling this Cordelia (one of my aunts) but finally named it RUTH; the name of DH's maternal grandmother - an artist and definitely not afraid of color.


Again, I need to get a three projects quilted and piece/quilt that big brother quilt before I can sit and sew these strips into sets, but I know they'll wait patiently in their project box until I'm ready.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Society pushes us since childhood to be in a chronic state of fight or flight.  Rush to school.  Compete for good grades.  Compete in sports.  Achieve.  Perform. . . . Our nervous system needs:  stillness, quiet, play, and creativity.  We're humans, not machines."
Dr. Nicole LePera


9 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

easy to be detoured by luscious kaffe fabrics...will be anxious to see more!

Linda Swanekamp said...

What delicious fabric choices! The strips looks so wonderful there in the box. It would certainly motivate me to finish other things to sew those wonderful fabrics.

Julierose said...

Oh Ruth will be just lovely with all those KF fabrics...love that backing fabric--looks like it blends will with the KF fabrics hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It would be hard to not sew them now. I would probably be sewing a few a day and putting them back in the box while I worked on something else. You are probably more disciplined than I am.

Cherie Moore said...

The Electric backing is fabulous! Awesome you decided to create its own quilt for it……Ruth was my paternal grandmother’s name….and she was an independent, strong woman…..your post sent me down memory lane.

PS. Alexander it is! ;-)

Nann said...

Another beautiful assortment.

Mystic Quilter said...

Another luscious fabric pull for Maggie Pearl. I have this pattern pinned on my wall and currently awaiting the courier with a Jelly Roll from the quilt store for this pattern.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh Ruth... you colorful thing... Love your fabrics!!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

My what wonderful fabric and combinations! It is going to look terrific!