Monday, November 6, 2023

Bramble Blooms QAL - Real Progress


The latest challenge within Audrey's Bramble Blooms QAL is to play around with some floral appliqué for the center panel of our quilt.

So naturally I started scrolling through photos of Audrey's work along with that of Gwen Marston and Freddy Moran.  

By then I felt totally overwhelmed since appliqué, especially needle turn is SO not my thing.

And then I glanced up at the magnetic bulletin board in front of my sewing machine.

"COMPARISON IS THE THIEF OF JOY" - Theodore Roosevelt

(interestingly, Mark Twain's variation goes even further - "Comparison is the death of joy")


At that point I thought about my years-aged French Roses pattern.  I've made numerous quilts using this method, but all of them have been gifted.

Why not use these templates for my QAL project AND have a set of these blooms for myself?!

(bonus - there were even a baggie full of pre-cut leaves leftover from the making of Forty-Six and its string-pieced tulips)


I quickly cut out four two-layer blooms and pinned a series of leaves "in place" (of course, things will shift around before this is finalized).


And then I played around with the fabrics I'd pulled . . . 


Bloom one


Bloom two


Bloom three


And bloom four.

Another major decision - I will apply these using machine appliqué.

I love Audrey's handwork and admire her results enormously, but that just isn't me. And if I want to love this quilt when it is finished, I have to honor that.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------
"Never cut what you can untie."
Robert Frost

20 comments:

Kathy said...

And even think about raw edge applique for a fluffy, 3D flower!

Julierose said...

oh your French roses idea looks so great--[I also have that lovely pattern and made a couple gift quilts with it.] I scrolled around blogs and pinterest to see appliqued medallions, too...
But: in the end I guess you have to just "do you". I am now stepping back for a bit to decide whether to do the (dreaded) needleturn or raw-edge applique I am familiar with...what would look best with my little crocuses....lots of decisions. My sketch has a lot of flowers so needleturn would take quite a bit longer....ponderingly yours, Hugs, Julierose ;))))

The Joyful Quilter said...

Fantastic ides, Julie!! Better still that you are making the QAL project work for YOUR style and methods. Kudos for that!

Jeanne said...

Your roses are great! I'm going to get my Bramble Blooms applique settled today.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

This is fascinating . . . .

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad you went with those flowers. I have been trying to picture this quilt with something other than folk art type flowers and you have done it.

Barbara Anne said...

This will be such a sweet and charming quilt - and I have some of the fabrics you used in your pieced background!

Love the quotation, too.

Hugs!

Barb N said...

I would do exactly what you are doing.
No worries!

Katie said...

I love that you've repurposed another pattern! The fabrics are also great. This is going to be so pretty.

Magpie Sue said...

Brilliant!

Rebecca in AK said...

What a great idea! I love it! Your background fabrics are perfect and your roses are going to be beautiful in the fabrics you picked.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I think I am going to have to do this QAL. You are the third lovely person today that I read are doing it. Maybe you will all make me smarter. I stink at applique though unless I can machine stitch it. Making the three piles of fabrics is hard for me.

Quilting Babcia said...

Great idea! I love the way everyone is making this theme their own.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Great idea! I too have that pattern, made one quilt similar.
I don't enjoy hand applique either. Glad you've found a way do it your way, no right or wrong with this.

audrey said...

So happy you found the pattern and the leaves of course are just perfect.:) Love how different these are all going to look!:)

Cathy said...

Roses! I do love roses! Wonderful idea for the center!

Robin said...

This is great! I like that you're doing "YOU". The colors are dynamic and the idea will turn out great and make you happy. We all need to be true to our own creative sensibilities.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the French Roses, perfect pinks in you selection for these flowers. As Linda and Julierose mentioned, we have machine applique or raw edge stitching to think about.

Nann said...

Inspired!

Paulette said...

Ooh, I think those roses are going to be wonderful! Beautiful fabrics you've paired for them.