When it came time to finalize the cover for A Garden of Collage, despite repeated checking of measurements, the cover was not tall enough to stitch the end pockets . . . so I simply glued the quilted fabric cover to the binder's cover.
Here is a side view - clearly the journal is now too fat to close like the original book did.
Here's a photo of the inside cover and first page - you'll need to double click to enlarge it.
The card in the pocket contains the inspiration source and provenance of the original binder.
The following series of photos are SOME of the interior pages.
I was delighted to find several vintage seed packets to include.
And, of course, there are multiple quotes throughout the many pages.
Do any of you remember fold-a-notes from the Current company?
They make marvelous tuck in items.
Some of younger son's leftover parchment paper was trimmed to make "crinkly" pages.
Most of the pages are "full size" but a few are smaller to add interest.
If you supersize the photo, I hope you can read the definition on the left hand page.
I've loved dandelions since I was young (although my parents tried very hard to convince me they were weeds).
The thick, vintage bird cards also made wonderful items to tuck into rescued envelopes.
* * *
The more I play with journal-making, the more parallels I find with my quilting journey.
Even when I'm given complete instructions, I have a hard time following them (as in I don't want to make something that looks just like the teacher's).
I definitely prefer scrappy over the too-coordinated "kits" that are so commonly available.
Nann mentioned in a response to a comment that this process was like "curating scraps for a quilt" and I couldn't agree more.
And while I love the inspiration of virtual classes, I think I'm at my limit for adding any more new ones. I have enough to last well into next year and, like my quilting adventures, by then I'll be solidly off on my own path.
From now until the end of the year, my goal is to focus on stitching and quilting and let the paper stash rest for a bit. I may dabble with some of the rolodex cards if the urge strikes, but my sewing machine and Max are calling to me.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------"Art is something that makes you breathe with a different kind of happiness."
Anni Albers












6 comments:
Julie, A Garden of Collage is simply stunning, beautiful, colourful and exciting, how I admire your vision in creating this book. Congratulations! Have fun now with your stitching and quilting, only almost two months left until we close the door on 2023.
I used to do a lot of scrapbooking back when the grandkids were little (oldest granchild just turned 19 on Halloween) so have lots and lots of scrapbooking supplies. I have saved my seed packets as well as catalogs and other gardening related items for about 10 years because I always thought it would be fun to make a botanical type scrapbook incorporating garden ephemera and pics from my gardens. I think you have inspired me to move along and maybe get started this winter when I'm not actually busy gardening.
Your binder is so lovely--I really like the cover and your pages look super. will you journal in it or leave it as is? I like that scrappiness, too...
Nice work. Hugs, Julierose
What a happy, colorful, and wonderful book you've created from bits of this and that. Now you know why you kept those bits for 'something, some day'!
Your sewing machine and Max will welcome your return.
Hugs!
How can you go wrong with flowers, seed packets and lovely paper? Can't wait to see what flies off your sewing machine and on the design wall. Off to a quilt retreat this weekend with NO interruptions, yay!
What a lovely addition to your shelf of journals! I like the multicolored reinforcement rings. And I do remember Current Just-a-Notes. And Current's many other products -- gift wrap, greeting cards, recipe cards, and cookbooks. We'd have a catalog on the desk in the break room at the library so we could get enough orders for the group discount. Current also ventured into craft publishing with a couple of counted cross-stich books that I may still have....
Post a Comment