Friday, July 21, 2023

Thoughts from the Studio


One of things I've quickly discovered about playing with mixed media and journal making is the constant barrage of items available for purchase and the dollars those can entail.  So when younger son told me about the bookstore run by the Friends of a nearby town's library, I was happy to spend part of an afternoon there with him.

The large area was beautifully arranged in three rooms, neat and tidy, and with a selection that rivals some regular bookstores I've been in.

This was the stack I brought home.


The same stack but with dust jackets and library jackets removed.  At $2 each, I do not feel the least bit guilty about enhancing this part of my stash.  I'll "gut" some of these to use the covers for future journals.  The two oldest ones are just cool - time will tell how I use those.


And when I put all of my mixed media goodies back out after LM's visit, I decided it was time to stop moving the box of papers for my Rolodex project and get the backgrounds onto the blank cards so they are ready for collaging.

So far I've completed the green/yellow category . . . 


. . . and the brown group (photo taken before the corners were rounded - oops) . . . 


. . . the red group . . . 


. . . and the blue/yellow group.  

(and the blue/green group is glued, ready to trim, round the corners, and punch the two lower openings that fit into the unit)


One color group at a time the Rolodex is beginning to fill up again.


And lest you think I've ignored my sewing machine, the top for Awesome Color  that was designed by Little Man for a Ukrainian refugee child is now sewn and pressed.  (42" x 54")

Nancy Near Philadelphia needs the finished quilt before August 31 so I want to Awesome Color finished and on its way sooner rather than later.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring."
David Bowie

11 comments:

Sally Langston Warren said...

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew is my ALL time favorite book. My mother read it to me when I was in the hospital in first grade (1965) and I have read it several times since then. It’s worth a read! LM has once again designed a beautiful quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Awesome Color came together beautifully, Julie (and now you can add book stack envy to my Rolodex envy!) Your backgrounds look as if they will be fun to work on. I know you will enjoy adding the collage bits!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

That quilt is SO well named! Eager to see it in real life!

Julierose said...

Rolo cards prepping is such a super idea; and your library book purchases will be beautiful covers for your future journals....I love those old tattered books...Such a lovely vintage vibe to them...Hope your weekend is fun
hugs, Julierose

Nancy said...

Your Rolodex collection is impressive. And great treasures from the book sale. I'm in the same boat as you are- paper scraps, fabric scraps, all sorts of tools and supplies. It's nice to repurpose things like the books. Have fun. The quilt top looks great.

Barbara Anne said...

"Awesome Color" is an awesome quilt for some little somebody - and designed by another caring somebody known as LM! What could be better?

Love your rainbow card project, too. Have fun decorating the pages!

Hugs!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Awesome color is going to make 2 children happy, the one who designed and the one that receives it. Great fabric choices in it.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great happy quilt, designed by a child for a child. How cool is that?

Nancy said...

I am a book collector. Well, I have a lot of books. I own the Five Little Peppers book and a modern version of the Miss Minchin book. Here is a link to a 'fine' copy of the book you just bought. Only 300.00!
https://www.biblio.com/book/sara-crewe-what-happened-miss-minchins/d/1549794763

Anonymous said...

In the 60’s, Mom read us The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. We all laughed and cried; and learned lessons in kindness perseverance, and generosity…. Eventually discovered there was a whole series. That’s a sweet treasure. (Laura H.)

Mystic Quilter said...

Wow, you have been busy jazzing up the blank cards - love all the colour! Great quote from David Bowie, perfect!