Saturday, December 10, 2022

Taking Inventory


I have definitely been suffering from "squirrel brain" - so I decided to stop and take inventory of all the projects in my studio.


And EGADS!  The squirrels have been on a rampage and they're running amuck!

I counted up fifteen (!!) projects in various states from fabric pulls to being cut out to leader-ender status to clipped and ready to web.


I also identified eleven quilt tops/backs in various stages of readiness for quilting.  

One is pin basted, several have backings prepared, and the others have yardage ready to become a back..

I make no apologies - I prefer designing and making to finishing (although I do love a newly finished quilt).  

Going forward I really do want to spend more time finishing instead of feeding too many more squirrels.


And then there are the six comfort quilt tops that are cut out and waiting for the right moment/need to be stitched together . . . and two more sets of placemats (one for January and another reversible set for February/March).  

And after two holiday seasons, it is clear that I need to make another dozen or so lined drawstring gift bags in the most frequently used sizes.  I have a whole year to get those ready for action but I also don't plan to wait for November 1 to begin.

* * *

It may sound silly but actually going through this process made me feel calmer.  

I can see which things I need to work on first and which can sit and wait.  

I am also more convinced than ever that I need to do my best to resist the impending year-end inventory clearance sales that tempt us all to enlarge our stashes - especially since I am once again working towards raiding the stash to make more multi-fabric backings instead of any more all-one-fabric five yard purchases (even IF the yardage is on sale).



Mari of the Academic Quilter shared this sign from the Baltimore Zoo in a recent post  and I'm going to print it out and put it on the magnet board in front of my sewing machine as a not-so-subtle reminder.  

Of course, there are no absolute promises . . . 


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"I don't want my legacy to be storage containers of stuff."
Courtney Carver

15 comments:

Elle said...

It is so good to do an inventory and know exactly what you have. Only then can we evaluate what we have, what we want to complete, do we really want to start something new vs finish something we had abandoned.

I'm on mission in 2022 and 2023 to finish EVERY UFO. Nearly all are from 2010 (my oldest) to 2014. All but 2 started since 2015 have been finished this year! I have 12 old ones rolling over to 2023. I am certain I can finish 11, the 12th is an overwhelming amount of work and a big learning curve but dang it's got to be finished as it will be gorgeous!

Cheers to you and 2023 quilting.

Joan H. said...

Excellent post!

Sharon Kwilter said...

I'm with you on finding it easier to make flimsies than actually finishing them into quilts. I'm glad I'm taking December this year to finish projects.

Anonymous said...

I have done the same & am a bit shocked at how many UFO's I have. I think next year will be a big year of finishing up things for me.

Susan said...

There appear to be many of us with the squirrel problem. I counted my UFOs and also have many quilt tops waiting to become quilts! I have backs fir all of them and 2 are basted- one has been basted for 2 years !!! I have been trying hard to avoid starting new projects except for little things- like drawstring gift bags- that can be easily finished.
I have finished just 3 or 4 projects but that’s 3 or 4 less UFOs. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Julierose said...

As a fellow "squirrelly" stitcher I am trying not to feel as if I have to FINISH up everything before starting something else. Life is way too short...
Good luck with your UFO's -- I've whittled some of mine down--
but--my problem is If I am not entranced with a project, I prefer to just stop making it.
So. I have sent off a lot of false starts and unfinished works to a charity finishing group-- that really made me feel better...
hugs, Julierose

Dee W said...

Today I went to lunch with a friend who was waiting on her school bus riders. I suggested lunch in a town close to the school, she said no I don't want to go to the fabric shop there. So, then as we were eating lunch in another town, she said, well, this town has a better shop, so we trekked on to a shop we both like better. No, we aren't buying fabric, it's going to be pillowcases. Love the squirrels, oh yes, I can identify.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Those darn squirrels keep coming back to tease us! I like taking inventory too. If nothing else I can find out how much work is requited to finish a project or two. No apologies needed, I think a lot of us fall into that category of loving the designing best.

julieQ said...

Only fifteen? LOL! Me too!!!! On we go and count all these squirrels as joy!

Barb N said...

I have wanted to make gift bags/sacks out of my Christmas fabrics and I had forgotten which blogger made a slew of them last year. Was it you? If so can you point me to the blog post, or pattern, for your bags? And best wishes for delving through your list of items to complete!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I resemble all of your remarks, Julie. Although, I'm pretty sure that I have more projects on the go than you do. I refuse to count at this juncture since I don't have time to do anything about it. Good luck with your NO SHOPPING resolve! I failed on that account earlier this year.

Mystic Quilter said...

Love your squirrel post, I had many smiles on reading, and many nods of agreement with what you say. I have far too many ideas buzzing around which means there are delays in actually making a start. However, I do think we need a few squirrels around now and again and no absolute promises!!

Nancy said...

You are not alone! And yes, it's probably a good idea if we do our own "year-end inventory clearance".

Nann said...

Do the recipients of gifts packaged in your gift bags pay it forward and use the gift bags again? It reminds me of taking food to a shut-in or to a funeral in a reusable container. (I add a label to the container saying that it doesn't need to be returned.) I need to cull the flimsies and find new homes for those I won't quilt or won't have quilted. I also want to disburse the finished quilts that have piled up.

Kaja said...

That is a lot of squirrels, but I have always admired your ability to keep your quilting well organised. Good luck with working your way through the fifteen!