Tuesday, December 13, 2022

December Placemats - Finito


This month's set of six two-sided placemats is finished.

I started with a stack of 6.5" squares (or pieces sewn together so they could be trimmed to 6.5") cut from fabrics in the stash and/or resource boxes.

I used them to make twelve slabs, each 18" x 24".


The slabs were sandwiched in pairs and Max and I quilted them with my liberated spiral fans using Glide thread in Nickel.

Once quilted, each sandwich was trimmed to 14" x 20" before the binding was added.

We love this size - large enough to shrink a bit in the laundry and, more importantly, they fit in the buffet drawer in the dining room (next to the table where they are used every day).

* * *

Now it is time to start on the set for January using 2.5" strips cut from wintry neutrals for the top slabs and a stack of black and white squares to be sewn for the back slabs.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"You're never too old believe in the magic of Christmas."
Janet Lee Logan

8 comments:

ButterZ said...

Great to make placemats that suit your space.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The bindings are just wonderful for the placemats! They certainly look festive and too good to put plates on. Congratulations on a fabulous finish!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love them!!!
and Perfect for Christmas!!!

Julierose said...

Just a lovely set of placemats--and that binding is really perfect...
nice work hugs, Julierose

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice mats and I love the candy cane binding. thanks for sharing your process, as I hope to make a few next year the measurements will come in very handy!

Michele Bilyeu said...

Absolutely lovely, Julie!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Julie, these are wonderful; you're thinking ahead to where they'll be stored for usage too~ smart! Merry Christmas, my friend!

Vicki W said...

Love that striped binding! I've got some holiday batik left over from my Christmas cards and I should make it into some placemats this week instead of shoving it back into the fabric cabinet.