Friday, December 16, 2022

Raconteur - the Quilt


Since we had sunshine Thursday for the first time in ten days, I was very happy to take photos of newly-finished Raconteur that actually show how soft and pretty these colors are.

(Raconteur - noun - a gifted storyteller)


Scrappy binding all around.

I made up my own design for the two differently sized borders.

The narrow ones (top and bottom) have a single row of 'scallops' to complete each of the orange peels.

The wider ones (both sides) have two sets of scallops.

And in all cases, I continued the seam lines into the borders to hold everything together.


This is the scrappy back - it looks better in this photo than most but even this one doesn't show how soft and gentle it is in real life.


There are two full-width strips of leftover strip set squares along with three different low volume prints in the backing. 

In the full view photo you can hopefully see the symmetrical arrangement of the fabrics.


Here Raconteur is draped over the couch (my 2020 snowflake quilt named Yuletide is peeking out on the left).  

The colors here are very, very close to real life.

Quilted with my liberated orange peels using Glide thread in Whisper Yellow.

51" x 68"


And this is where Raconteur will stay until the Christmas quilts are put away and my series of low volume quilts take over as our January quilts (there's a label below if you want to see all of them).

(the other quilts on this rack are vintage ones made by my grandmothers or family / friends - you can read more about some of them HERE)



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"I love sewing, so I'm not trying to "get it over with." I'm not trying to wrap it up so I can go off and dust."
Gwen Marston

12 comments:

Elaine M said...

Lovely and inviting! Great finish.

Julierose said...

This is definitely a "soft and gentle" quilt; so vintage looking and lovely nice work
hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on another quilt finish, Julie! LOVE the overall softness of this one.

Barb N said...

It definitely looks soft and cuddly - those pastels work so well. I love the scrappy feel to it. Reminds me of a Wish For Spring To Come, lol.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Raconteur is a beauty! I didn't notice the strip sets in the backing until you mentioned them and I enlarged the photo. All of the fabrics on the back are so perfect with the front.

MissPat said...

Great quote today. Raconteur is a nice palate cleanser between your usual bright and bold projects.
Pat

Barbara Anne said...

What a charming and snuggly quilt! Someone will certainly enjoy being cozy under it and looking at the wonderful variety of gentle fabrics.

Hugs!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A beautiful quilt! I love this soft palette.

Mari said...

What a lovely quilt. So pretty and so soft! Just looking at it makes you want to cuddle up on the sofa with a nice book, doesn't it? Congratulations on a beautiful finish!

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautiful quilt Julie, the colours are soft snd restful and I do like the setting very much indeed, your quilting design here adds such a lot of texture, brilliant!

Vicki W said...

It's beautiful! The quilting gives it a lovely vintage look.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

So very pretty - and that quilting - what texture... love it!!