Monday, November 7, 2022

November's Seasonal Decor

I encountered this quote by Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) from the movie You've Got Mail and couldn't stop thinking about it as the date approached to change our clocks and "fall back."

The more I thought about it, the more I realized our November seasonal decor seriously needed more twinkle lights - for ever so many real-world reasons.

And so . . . 


Both garlands on the mantel have fairy lights woven in and I added fairy lights to both DH's wood piece on the hearth and his mom's wicker basket on the end table (both of which are filled with pumpkins and autumn leaves).

The lighted branches in the tall vase were an impulse purchase at Costco over a year ago.  They're battery powered and I do love the way they help brighten that end of the hearth.


Here's a close up of the mantel (wood acorn boxes made by another member of DH's woodturning guild).


And this year I've started a new tradition - a Thanksgiving Tree.  


Yes, it is the same tree we use for Christmas but during November it is decorated with autumn colored sunflowers,  small pinecones, pumpkins, ivory beaded picks, and wood cut outs of the words Thankful and Grateful.


And as a finishing touch, I added a ring of textural pumpkins around the base.

(I love it when stores significantly discount holiday items well before the holiday actually arrives).

We've also made 30-day lists of things each of us are grateful for.  The items are written out on brown kraft shipping tags adorned with gold ribbons and displayed in one of DH's wood bowls in the dining room. 

* * *

I know these twinkle lights won't solve any real world issues, but at least they brighten the autumnal darkness and encourage us to smile.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"What if today we were grateful for everything?"
Charlie Brown

8 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

Lovely and so true, Charlie Brown.

Hugs!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

As we approach election day and who knows what results, we all need a few more fairy lights brightening our lives.

Mystic Quilter said...

An excellent idea Julie! Your decor is very cosy and colourful, I love twinkling lights.

Barb N said...

We all need more reasons to smile lately. I love your twinkle lights and smiled as I read your post. Thank you!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, I love the Thanksgiving tree idea! I bought some LED small lights on a wire last month and put them on my hutch. I need more light. Lovely inspiration, thank you!

Cindy said...

Love the Thanksgiving tree and the twinkle lights!!!! I use them year-round as well. Just brought in some big houseplants & promptly wrapped white lights around them. I think it adds a little whimsey & brightness to the short days of fall/winter.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE your Thanksgiving decor, Julie!!!

Andra Ridout said...

Love your Thanksgiving Tree! Someday I hope to have the house clean enough to be creative like that...