Wednesday, November 9, 2022

A Back for B.O.B.



Because the leftovers I pulled to make B.O.B.'s scrappy back were scattered all over my sewing area, I went ahead and trimmed them into even width strips.  Left to right:  4.5", 5.5", and 6.5".



These strips, left to right, measure 2.5" from one set of placemats, 2.5" from the backing of Mischief Maker and Feisty, scrappy 2.5", and scrappy 3.5".


I sewed each width end to end, then cut them to 82" lengths.  Some of the leftovers were re-trimmed and added to others to make a few more full length strips.


In the end, I have six at 6.5", one at 5.5",  two at 4.5", two at 3.5", and two at 2.5".

By adding four 2.5" lengths of the noisy parrots leftover backing, there will be enough to piece a back 67" wide.

I will rearrange these so wider ones are to the outside edges and the various widths are mixed up for more visual interest before sewing the long strips together.


And as I worked on the scrappy back, I made up my mind how I want to piece the scrappy front.

These are my notes to myself for when I return to this project after the first of the new year.

It is going to feel so good to turn all of these leftovers into a gloriously scrappy brights on black (hence the B.O.B. name) two-sided quilt!


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"Art is what we call . . . the thing an artist does.  It's not the medium or the oil or the price or whether you hang it on a wall or you eat it.  What matters, what makes it art, is that the person who made it overcame the resistance, ignored the voice of doubt, and made something worth making.  Something risky.  Something human.  Art is not in the . . .  eye of the beholder, it is in the soul of the artist."
Seth Godin 

7 comments:

Elaine M said...

Ah, yes, gorgeous colors all dancing together! Will be wonderful.

Unknown said...

Love your use of scraps and explanation of the process. I also loved the thought that art is in the soul of the creator.

Mari said...

Brights on black are always a surprise to me. They always look much better than I think they will, and your plan will really make them shine. It will be a fun start to the new year!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think those are 2 fronts of quilts and you have serious yardage in your stash to use for backs.....but I know you enjoy piecing intricate backs.

Barbara Anne said...

What a happy quilt this will be no matter which side is up! I do wonder if Little Man might just claim this colorful quilt?

How do you have the energy to be so wonderfully creative so quickly? I ask from sheer envy as I'm plagued by lupus fatigue and it's a bummer. Enjoy all you accomplish!

Hugs!

Mystic Quilter said...

Luscious, vibrant fabrics!! I too, just like Wanda, that these would be idea ideal as quilt fronts.

Cherie Moore said...

Absolutely love your quote today….thank you for sharing the beautiful thoughts of others.