Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Luciferous Returns


I first posted about my newest AHIQ "Yellow" challenge here.

Since then the project was set aside and then resurrected but as a possible baby girl quilt.

After cutting the pink side triangles and getting them laid out on the design wall, my initial reaction was NO -- it felt flat and contrived and I couldn't help but wonder about the gender-stereotyping of such an intensely pink quilt (especially since Little Man's favorite color has been and continues to be "pink" since he could first answer the question).


So I raided the stash of leftover scrap slab triangles and tried adding two columns of green to see how they would change the vibe.

Better but still not making me excited.


I removed the green and pink so I could try another idea.

Since the originally planned black and white side triangles had been redirected to Razzle-Dazzle . . . 


I pulled out the leftover scrappy side triangles from Kefi and arranged them on the design wall.

Still not making me excited.


So I tried adding one column of leftover pink triangles.

Again, better but not something I wanted to move forward after determining that it was the floating yellow triangles themselves that were my problem.


Backing up a bit, I had pulled this box of yellow scraps and strips for the original plan to make enough yellow scrap slab triangles for a lap quilt.

What if I took a more "scrap vortex-ish" approach?


So I took the existing yellow triangles and sewed them into a long strip.

This made me want to move forward.

But when I dug out much of what was in the yellow scrap box, I knew the all-yellow idea was not going to happen.

But what if . . . 


I quickly pulled out all of the leftover scrap slab triangles and sorted them loosely into RO[Y]GBIV order.

Hmmm . . . after counting the triangles, I decided to go for it (finally).


Here you can see the "red/red-orange" column sewn together alongside one-half of that long yellow strip of triangles.

Clearly this will not be an all "yellow" quilt top as in the theme of the challenge, but that's totally okay with me. 

And I'd much rather USE the mountain of leftover scrap slab triangles instead of storing them in a box for "someday."

Interestingly enough, the definition of Luciferous meaning "bringing or giving/providing light or insight" which was originally targeted at the challenge's yellow remains valid for this more colorful approach.

Yes!

* * *

Side Note re Bloglovin' -- as I am sure those of you who have used Bloglovin' are already aware, it has been "down" and "unavailable" for weeks on end.  I used to follow 80+ blogs through their service, so if you haven't had a comment from me recently (or an email due to Blogger's recent comment sign-in changes), please leave me a comment below and I'll pop over to your blog for a visit. 

For now I'm using a free account with Feedly to follow the blogs I can't follow by email.  I'm not in love with Feedly yet, but it works to let me know there are new posts to check.

Thanks to a mention on Wanda's blog this morning, I have set up a free account with The Old Reader.  It works great and I like it a lot better than my now-deleted Feedly account.

I have also removed the Bloglovin' follow buttons from my sidebar.  There's no point inviting anyone else to use them when their system is broken.

If you have been following my blog through the Bloglovin' website or through their follow-by-email service, you may want to register for new post email notices using the "Follow by Email" sign up in my side bar (powered by Follow.It).  


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Magic happens when you fill up your own heart – not when you wait for somebody else to fill it up for you.”
Diana Seneque

7 comments:

Julierose said...

[That "bloglovin" debacle is so frustrating as I also followed a lot of bloggers there, too.]
This piece has gone through so many variations--I will be looking forward to seeing how it turns out...hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, I love the columns of color! I love the solidness of the scrappy triangles.

Barbara Anne said...

Wow! Your yellow and red start in the new direction for these scrappy triangles is dynamic and the remaining rows are sure to be glorious, too.

When DS2 was little, his favorite color was blue; at age 4 he said he loved orange. We asked what became of blue as his favorite color and he patiently said that blue was his king favorite color and orange was his queen favorite color!

Hugs!

Paulette said...

I like where you're going with this, Julie! I did kinda like the one with one row of pink diamonds too, though. ;) I use Feedly and like it, but sometimes check over on Bloglovin' too, but I noticed it was down whenever I tried it the past couple months. Too bad.

MissPat said...

It certainly has become difficult to follow quilt blogs. Not only is Bloglovin' not functional, but after stating a year ago that email notifications for new blog posts would be discontinued, Google/Blogger finally pulled the plug. I do get notices from Follow-it for some of my favorite blogs, but not all.
Luciferous is going through many permutations. It's very interesting to follow your process.
Pat

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Your artistic eye hasn't let you down yet, I applaud your tenacity on this one; however it comes togeher, and I have no doubt that it will, I know that it's going to be AMAZING!

Mystic Quilter said...

Your'what if' moment has worked out beautifully! The red and yellow columns are stunning and I can't wait to see this progress.