Friday, August 5, 2022

Introducing Pretty in Pink


I had a big pile of leftover side triangles after making the blocks for Kefi.

I also had a big pile of pink side triangles that were meant for Luciferous but were voted off the island.

I really didn't want to store them for "someday" so I turned them into half-rectangle-triangle blocks (HRTs for short).

But then what?

I had 96 facing in one direction and 89 facing in the opposite.  You can see above what I decided.

(just ignore the scribbled out areas - those ideas didn't fly)


I sorted the HRTs into sets of four to make forty blocks to be laid out eight wide x five long.

(each HRT finishes at 3" x 6" so each block finishes at 6" x 12")

And yes, I was planning to work on Luciferous (plates in the background) but I clearly got distracted.


Here are the first eight blocks on the design wall with one of the yellow columns for Luciferous on the right.


And I even have the perfect yardage to back this quilt that will be named Pretty in Pink (hmmm - obviously the name of the fabric somehow became the name of the quilt).

I will get these blocks sewn together, laid out, and clipped for webbing after I get back to work on Luciferous.


* * *



He's officially six years old.

(photo taken at the neighborhood playground when he and his class took their daily walk)

And if you supersize the photo, you can read at least most of the very cool text on his birthday shirt.


 

Oh my, how far he has come since that very first day of preschool . . . 

. . . Kindergarten starts on the 15th.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Children naturally live in the moment, and they allow that moment to be what it is; magical and beautiful in every way.”
April Peerless

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Love those pink HRT's in the pinks and whites...Really pretty!! Tempus Fugit--huh? Little Man is 6 already? And starting Kinergarten? WOW!!
My granddaughter Willa (baby of our whole family circle) is turning 9 this month!! [..."We is old Father William"...apologies to Alice in Wonderland].

Another super hot day is upon us here; at least my haircut is at 9:30 so i will get home before the heat of the day really hits...Already 73 here with high dewpoint of 70!! AC it is!! Hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

I can't believe it is six years since you announced him! Kids grow so incredibly fast. My grands are 12, 10, 4 and 8 months and I swear if they stay still for a moment, I can see them growing. I have always loved HRT, but they are a challenge to sew and plan for the right facing direction. They look great.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Little Man surely is a handsome and happy six year old; how wonderful! Pretty in Pink is sweet, you're on a roll!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhh I like Pretty in Pink!!! What fun!
and the baby... who is clearly NOT a baby anymore... oh my!

Millie said...

Very pretty pink. Reminds me of something...

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Thank you for design inspiration! I love the Pretty in Pink!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You know I'm going to love this pink quilt! I bought some of that backing fabric too.
My great-grandson turns 6 at the end of this month and he will start kindergarten too. They grow up so fast....and I'm growing old(er) just as fast....sobering thought.

Anonymous said...

Lovely colors in the current project - and that backing fabric is amazing. Your grandson is adorable, what a personable child!

ceci

Mystic Quilter said...

I love Pretty in Pink design and you couldn't find a better fabric than the Flamingos for the backing. Just look at your grandson - where have the years gone - the photo from his baby years is delightful.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes, very pretty in pink! And the backing fabric is going to be stunnung!