Wednesday, May 18, 2022

La Colcha - an Update



Last Saturday, I texted this photo of La Colcha to Little Man's parents along with three options for backing fabric (below).  

(After two weeks of auditioning fabrics and trying to make the Plan A scrappy back work, it wasn't; which meant it was time to implement Plan B)




This "Glow-Marbled Rainbow Twist" design by Chong-A Hwang for Timeless Treasures was Option One.  




This "Daffy Taffy" design from the Big Geo group by Adrienne Leban for Free Spirit was Option Two.




This "Pounce-Bright Splatter" from Timeless Treasures was Option Three.

Any guesses as to which one he chose?

Option Three - Splatter won by a landslide according to his dad.  

So that yardage is on order and should be here sometime in the next week.




On Sunday when they came for dinner, I asked Little Man if he wanted to stop playing outside and come up to the studio to add the colorful strips to his quilt. 

"No, Mee Mah - I want to keep playing.  You can do it, please, and then surprise me."

And so I have.  

(please ignore that blue fabric across the upper edge - it was a random thought from several weeks ago and I haven't wanted to climb up there to take it down)




He never saw the fabrics I pulled for a possible scrappy piano key border (mid-way through this post), but as La Colcha has evolved, that labor-intensive border idea no longer fits the vibe.  

So I started looking through my stash for border options that would be more effective / appropriate.

Brandon Mably's "Creased" in black/white was my no-questions-asked / hands-down winner.  




As time permits, I'll get the three columns sewn together and trimmed to even widths before attaching them to each other. 

At that point I can measure to see how wide a border will be needed and whether or not the two yards of Creased that I have will be enough (it will need to be cut length-of-fabric rather than the usual WOF).


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“A piece of writing is like a piece of magic. You create something out of nothing.”
Susanna Clarke


7 comments:

Shelnjohanne said...

I love how it is now up to you! The same for a picnic quilt lounging on my design wall for a granddaughter who had great plans and may not get it done before school is out! I volunteered to sew some to move it along when she decides the layout! We need some of those brights!

Julierose said...

I love that splatter choice--just perfect for the backing...this is coming together really well...hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

The quilt is taking on such a strong happy pull. Love the border fabric. The backing is terrific for this. The quilt design is simple but graphic and cohesive. Great collaboration!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Little Man is going to love it! No surprise he chose the spatter print. That black and white stripe for the border is perfect, I like how it contains and frames all that bold color.

Paulette said...

I think Little Man was spot on with the backing choice! Gotta love that he was too busy playing outside to come in when you asked. "Surprise me." :) I love it!

Elaine Adair said...

I LOVE that word, Coddiwample - that's my idea of a great driving adventure. 8-)))

Mystic Quilter said...

Not surprising that he chose Splatter - I think is amazing.