Friday, September 24, 2021

Woolgathering - the Flimsy



This is Woolgathering.

(Noun - indulgence in aimless thought
or dreamy imagining)

I discovered a project box of 3.5" low volume strip sets
cut eons ago for a long-forgetten project,
but instead of setting them aside for later
I took a detour and turned them into this quilt top.




As with many low volume quilts, Woolgathering will be 
at its best when being used in the recliner.




I used the Two by Four tutorial by Film in the Fridge
re-sizing her dimensions for my wider strips.

I only had to choose/cut five additional pairs 
of fabrics beyond what was in the box.




Here's another "crumpled" photo of the flimsy.




I'll use this Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements 
"Memoranda" yardage (left) for the backing and a 
long-long-stashed cobblestone print for binding.

* * *

FMQ for Woolgathering will happen
sooner instead of later since we use
all of our low volume quilts in January
after the holiday items are packed away.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“It’s important to observe and savor the colors you see, but it’s more important to feel their emotion upon you: paint that expression and the color and passion will follow.”
Thomas R. Bullard

12 comments:

julieQ said...

What a fun idea! Love your browns and tans!

Teresa said...

Its a nice quilt. Funny how when I see a quilt of many fabrics, I have to look and see if I have any of the same fabrics and I did see a few.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I can't express how much I love this quilt top, Julie. It's gorgeous in its simplicity! I'm a big fan of low volume quilts.

Mari said...

Looks cozy and comfortable, perfect for those January days. And let's hear it for using up some more scraps. Is ther box empty now, or is there another quilt lurking there? :) Have a good weekend!

Vicki W said...

I love how cozy brown quilts are.

Elaine M said...

Looks warm and relaxing. Yes, great for a nap in the recliner. Love the clock faces. Enjoy your day!

Judy in Michigan said...

Luscious!! Reminds me of a wonderful latte!!!

Cherie in St Louis said...

Beautiful, Julie! Love that you used the found box of strips right away.

Linda Swanekamp said...

It oozes coziness. I love that 2 x 4 pattern and have used it for all sorts of fabric. The backing is perfect and so is the binding. Nice work!

audrey said...

Love the name of this particular project. The colors are so perfect along with the name! I've thought about using this tutorial myself before. Glad to know that it comes together so well!

QuiltGranma said...

Looks like a comfy throw for the recliner.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love the 2 x 4 pattern and have made a number of them. I did do a 3 1/2" also and I think originally where I found the pattern used 3 1/2" ones. Comfy cozy describes this one. Take care of the back. I have had bulging disks that induced sciatic pain and it was like electric shocks when I moved. Rest up.