I finished up this flimsy late last week -
Hoppipolla is part of my Etcetera series.
(an Icelandic verb meaning "jumping into puddles"
but my own version is from Dr. Seuss:
"If you never did you should.
These things are fun and fun is good")
Construction began as part of RSC 2021
(January-pink, February-yellow, March-green,
April-blues, and May-red)
but in June I took off on my own
and this quilt top is the result.
I absolutely love the level of scrappiness.
The inspiration trail for Hoppipolla is long and winding:
February 2017 - Amanda Jean Nyberg's Crazy Rails
August 2020 - Diann B's Rainbow Rails
January 2021 - Cathy L's Rail Fence
(my own twist is that the two sides of each block
are not exactly the same)
Doing the math for Hoppipolla:
960 1.5" x 3.5" strips
became
320 3" blocks
which became 160 pairs of 3" blocks
which became eighty 6" x 6" four-patches
which became twenty
12" blocks with four four-patches each
which were laid out
four across by five down (48" x 60")
plus 1" inner and a 4" outer borders
for a randomly scrappy top
that currently measures 57" x 70"
FMQ will happen early in 2022.
I can't wait to quilt/finish/use this one.
This is the backing fabric.
(by Windham Fabrics)
Chosen in honor of Hoppipolla's nickname -
Squirrel Project No. 789.
(for context, follow this link)
I loved Cathy L's response:
"Oh, that's not a squirrel . . .
that's your greatest hits remixed!
How cool is that that some of the little pieces
consist of even smaller pieces.
Oh, yes . . . perfect example of make-do.
Carry on!"
* * *
At least for a while,
I have turned on comment moderation.
After three spam messages today . . .
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“A yellow room gives you perpetual sunshine.”
Steve Hovland







14 comments:
Boy, it that ever cheery and fresh. I love the different fabrics on either side of the centers. That backing fabric is a hoot. I love the yellow border and how it helps all the other colors be perky. Great quilt. And it does remind me of a Dr. Seuss book.
How fun to be reading your post and see that my Rainbow Rails was part of your inspiration for this quilt! Yours is a lovely bunch of color and scraps - always my favorite kind of quilt. It's beautiful!
I love this type of scrappy quilt. Maybe one day I'll make a baby size one :)
Excellent comment by Cathy L. and a fabulous super scrappy quilt top, Julie!!!
Love love it! I'm doing somewhat to this effect with my autumn scraps.
That quilt!! I love it! Just perfect...it would make a great patient quilt, as I make them for my cancer ladies!
How much fun to sit and look through all those little pieces. I spy a bunch that are in my scrap inventory.
Pat
The kind of quilt I could sit and look at all day!
Love love love! Scrappy rulz! Very similar to several takes. A simple is surely duplicated <3 I did a take on another similar 2"x3.5" strips... My take was just rip the fabric through as leaders and enders and my machine is busy alot :) I called mine "Rip A Strip" Great finish, thanks for all you share! Blessings!
Karen
A delightful scrappy quilt, love it! A great mix of colours & fabrics.
Such a lovely quilt. Rail Fence is a simple pattern and we forget about it in the rush to tackle more complex designs. But how beautiful it looks. Good job!
I'm so happy that you took off on your own!! Wonderful pattern for lots and lots of fabrics. Did you cut particularly for the strips or use scraps on hand?
What a lovely scrappy quilt!
If you never did you should - totally a perfect sentiment!
this is a gorgeous quilt and a great use of all your random pieces! Go yoU!
Post a Comment