Quite a while ago, this folding black table
moved into this spot beside Max's table -
it helps support the quilt sandwich when FMQ-ing.
But it was also ALWAYS in the way when
I needed to access the thread drawers.
So . . . .
Since my birthday is next month,
I did some brainstorming/shared my ideas with DH.
This is my new nine-drawer Alex unit from Ikea.
(there were a total of fifty pieces to be assembled -
five for each drawer plus the outer frame)
It holds all of my threads -
Glide for Max lives in the four deeper drawers
and the Aurifil threads (and others) for my Bernina
live the the not-so-deep drawers.
And this is my new five-drawer Alex unit.
It lives to the right of Max's table
and holds the timing and other tools,
my extra FMQ gloves and magnifiers,
and assorted other FMQ related items.
(this one only had thirty pieces to assemble)
Here it is from another angle
along with my rolling Ikea cart
that snugs up beside me when I'm quilting.
One of the biggest reasons I wanted the shorter Alex unit
was so I could get rid of the hard-to-use Sterlite drawer unit
that used to live under Max's table.
Now the contents of that old unit are easier to access
AND the floor under Max is easier to clean.
(and those drawers that used to house my thread
have now been put to use holding items
that are far less frequently accessed
which happily reduced the creeping clutter)
* * *
I'm so glad that DH went ahead with my suggestion
and didn't make me wait another month!
Be back again on Monday -
hopefully with a finished kitchen table quilt
for September.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“Working in white makes people look into. It. White is ethereal. There’s a purity to it, it makes things look elevated in a way. There’s a whole palette of white . . ..”
Jonathan Milne





15 comments:
Great work and happy future birthday
Goodness, what an improvement! I can’t believe the timing as I’ve been struggling to figure out additional storage for oddball stuff like peeled cotton balls, cross stitch supplies and assorted sewing machine attachments. The Alex drawers seem like they will be perfect…..heading to IKEA soon!!
Nice additions...I would've needed a nap after assembly hahaha
Hugs, Julierose
What an improvement a bit of jockeying and new bits can bring. I wish I had an Ikea close to me. The closest is in Pittsburgh and I live in Buffalo. When the Canadian border was open, I could travel to one in Hamilton, Ont. but who knows when that will open. I need to some jockeying in my space, but when you work with it all the time, the possibilities are harder to see.
Congrats on the early birthday gift and improved storage, Julie!
Those look like great storage! Maybe he will forget you already got your birthday present and give you something else when the time comes!
Now that is the way to use your Birthday!!! LOVE it!
yea! just the right unit! That's a celebration as is your birthday! Happy year my friend
It's so easy to just leave things as they are and not figure out a fix. You found a great solution and have a partner to help make it happen. I am so sick of assembling things. I liked the days when things were delivered fully built.
Yay!! Love it when things can be organized just a little bit more efficiently. Looks to be a fantastic change-up for you!
Congrats on your early birthday gifts. We are planning on building a home on some land that we own and I got a "driveway" for my August birthday.
Great rearrangement, and love the water-melon quilt on the wall.
Great re organisation Julie, love the drawers from Ikea but not the thought of all those pieces requiring assembly. There's nothing like a good re-arranging to get the best out of your sewing area. I like the clear floor area underneath Max. I have a very small room but have moved a few things around over the past week, unfortunately it took time away from posting or sewing but I'm happy with the result. I'm looking forward to the reveal of the table quilt for September!
Such an improvement, Julie. How nice that your husband could help you with the logistics. I like looking at how people improve their quilting space, especially because mine needs some work.
Happy birthday whenever it is.........
Nice draw sets......its always best when things are more organised.........
Post a Comment