It is all Cathy's fault.
Introducing my Squirrel Project No. 789.
(if you aren't familiar with my squirrel projects,
check out the Ad Hoc Squirrel Club in my sidebar)
It's okay - I'm not mad at Cathy.
I'm actually kind of excited about it.
A big part of my process
is taking in ideas
and considering possibilities.
(remember my goal for 2021 to plant
and nurture the seeds of possibility?)
As most of you know,
I've been making a series of
what I refer to as
for several years now.
I've gathered enough ideas and sketches
to make twenty (gasp!) of them.
But in order to work on other projects
that have been waiting for too long,
I decided a while back to return
to my original plan for a twelve-quilt series.
Of course there will be a very big pile of
1.5" and already-pieced DD strips in a rainbow of colors
left after I finish Dumpster Diving12-Journey's End
As soon as I read Cathy's post,
I knew I could use a lot of them to make
my own version of her scrappy rail fence beauty.
For a 48" x 60" quilt top
I'll need 320 of these little (3" finished) blocks.
(first six shown above)
I'll loosely follow along this year
using the Rainbow Scrap Challenge color prompts
and then see how many more blocks I need.
I've named my long-term project
HOPPIPOLLA
which is an Icelandic verb for
"jumping into puddles."
* * *
You'll be able to find all of the posts about this project
by using the Hoppipolla label from the sidebar or by
using the label at the bottom of each related post.
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The grass is greener where you water it.”
Neil Barringham




19 comments:
I love your original names that you come up with for your quilts and I’m curious how you come up with them.
That’s a great idea for this year Rsc . Have fun
I know what you mean!! When I saw Cathy's quilt I thought here is the block for my RSC, too. Your first six are lovely...I need to cut my leftovers into 1.5" strips (I don't pre cut just cut for each project) Hugs on the squirrel trail Julierose
Oh, Julie...
:o))
I love it. Cathy is full of inspiration! I may have to start collecting them myself!
Ah, those pesky squirrels are forever insinuating themselves into our previously well-ordered lives!!
I believe that leaving yourself some space to let a squirrel or two jump in is a healthy approach to even the most ordered and organized plan. We need to cultivate some excitement and joy, too! :) Good for you!
I felt the same when I saw Cathy's quilt. It will be my RSC21 too!
Oh, that's not a squirrel...that's your greatest hits remixed! How cool is that that some of those 1.5 x 3.5 pieces consist of even smaller pieces. Oh, yes...perfect example of a make-do! Carry on!
the excitement is palpable!
Fun! I've done red-centered rails but you are encouraging me to try white-centered.
I sometimes feel like everything I do is a squirrel project. Especially 2020 when I went way off the plan. But as long as I'm sewing or making I consider that forward progress and progress is good. Who knows. A so called 'planned' projects might later become a squirrel.
I am not sure what is wrong with me, lately small blocks and small pieces I find terribly intriguing. This is a wonderful squirrel. I promised myself I would pull out all UFOs this week and reassess before I try any other block. Let's see how I do.
A great idea for this years RSC!
Pretty rail fence work!!
I do love that when you jump - you are ALL in!! this will be great!
Gorgeous, complex fabrics. I need to go shopping!
The squirrels have been very active! I have been finding about 13 quilts I want to start every day but today, I found at least 25! I have tied my arms to make sure I stay under controls!
My friends are always calling "squirrel" when I get off on other tangents, and I have so many quilt projects on the go, and want-to-do's I need to join your Squirrel Club. Now I'm going to squirrel off and read your squirrel club posts!
Post a Comment