Monday, August 16, 2021

Blithe - the Beginnings



I have wanted to make a blue and "white" quilt 
for a long time now so when I found this 18-patch  tutorial,
the fabric pull happened that same day.

I needed to use the top of the cutting table so,
instead of moving the stacks of blues/low volumes
like I normally would have done,
I actually cut the strips and re-shelved the yardage.




Then, of course, I just HAD to make a single test block . . . 
and soon there were eight blocks on the design wall.

This quick progress led my overactive brain 
to wonder what I could use for backing.




I have had these two fabrics in the stash for quite a while.

They'll make a fun/interesting back for Blithe.


P.S.


 


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Blue is the only color which maintains its own character in all its tones.”
Raqoul Dufy

12 comments:

Julierose said...

What an interesting block--love all those lace-y looking blue fabrics together...very pretty...hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE your new project, Julie, and for sharing the link, too. Goodness knows there's aren't enough squirrels running around my studio already!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Well done, Julie! There's something just so soothing about blue and white quilts, yours will be lovely.

Barb N said...

Squirrels do rock! And I love yours and the enthusiasm to go with the flow. The blues are stunning and I look forward to your completed quilts!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This will be a fun one!! Go Squirrels!

Ellie said...

I like the unusual shapes in this block. Is it square or oblong? I’ve made a couple of blue and white quilts and I never tire of them. That backing is really a kick!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I like the crispness of your fabric choices. They are perfect for this type of pattern. I'm not a big fan of blue but I like this one. Having said that I'm collecting a bunch of blues for a quilt right now.

Cathy said...

Oh, I like it! I had downloaded a similar pattern from another site ( https://www.justgetitdonequilts.com/block-patterns ) in April but never got around to figuring out what fabrics I wanted to use! Looks like you made a good decision on yours! Very cool and soothing! Perfect backing!

audrey said...

Squirrels absolutely do rock! And your blue quilt is coming along so nicely! Don't you just love falling into the flow of work so easily!:)

Ann said...

Blue and white quilts are such beauties. Love the fabrics you pulled for the back, too. You are so smart to blend them with the front.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Looking back, I can see I forgot to leave a comment. I found the pattern and ptinted it out. It is perfect for a comfort quilt. Gathering fabric now in masculine colors to make one.

Mystic Quilter said...

Now this is interesting to see an 18 patch and using rectangular pieces for the blocks. I like your fabric choices Julie, how big do you anticipate going with this quilt?