Monday, August 9, 2021

Each Step Forward Counts



This is the new fabric pull for November's
kitchen table quilt that I've named Sweater Weather.

My original fabric pull looked too much like
the palette for Farmland and I wanted something
that felt warmer / more like Thanksgiving.

I've started cutting strips . . . stay tuned.




I also put together this fabric pull for a new project
that I have named BLITHE.

(adjective - carefree and happy; lighthearted)

Instead of a 16-patch, Blithe will be an 18-patch.

I'm in no huge rush - at least I don't think I am.

(part of me wants to turn Blithe into a squirrel project -
but the practical part of me is resisting / time will tell)

* * *


I finally broke down and bought this for my sewing studio.

I don't like pulling out the big canister vacuum
and unless I move several things out of the way,
the Roomba cannot get into some of the tight spots.

Now I have a quick and easy way to clean up 
those pesky threads and bits of fabric.

(this model is super easy to empty
and I love the round flat charging base)

Ridiculous that I've waited so long to resolve
what has been a long-time frustration.




I picked up 3 clear 5-compartment organizers 
that were being marketed for make up.

 Instead of using them for their intended purpose,
I gathered my colored pencils,
Flair markers, Sharpies, and highlighters
and put them all within easy reach.

(I use them when I'm sketching ideas,
working out layout designs,
making notes for my project files, etc.)

This way I'm also making much better use of
the Raskog cart that sits to the right of my Bernina.

Again - such an easy solution to a nagging issue.

(Contemplate - Fabricate - Ruminate - Recreate
-- courtesy of something Sarah Bond shared
in one of her virtual classes)


I also took the time to make a proper mat
to line the bottom of this well-worn tray 
that lives at the end of my ironing table.

Why do I wait so long to deal with
something like this that is so simple?!

* * *


I haven't worked on Pandemonium for a while now
because my brain cells have been used up dealing with
another significant hassle involving an insurance program.

I've finally reached out to an advocacy group for help
and after the initial conversations, I'm hopeful
they can take over much of the heavy lifting. 

One step at a time.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Brown is neither one of the basic color perceptions nor a primary color used in color mixtures, but for human beings it is constantly present both in nature and in their everyday surroundings. It is the color of the earth itself — of rocks and sand, of the bark of trees, of the fur of animals. In that sense, at least, it could be called the basic color of everyday life.”
Kunio Fukuda

12 comments:

linda said...

I love reading your blog and seeing the things you are working on. Your color combinations are my favorite!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love seeing the fabric pulls. I love your fabrics. The organization is wonderful. I always have fabric and thread shrapnel around me. I wonder if that vacuum would work for me. Sweeping always seems to add static to the fluff. Trying to deal with changing CDC guidelines so I can see my grandchildren and feeling very confused. Insurance is worse.

Angie said...

Love the colors for Sweater Weather - they give me hope for cooler weather! Thanks for the Dust Buster tip; I was convinced they were no longer made, as I haven't seen one in years.

Sally Langston Warren said...

To quote Kaffe Fassett: glorious fabrics! I would enjoy a fabric shopping trip with you! I had to chuckle when you called your cart by the IKEA name. Who remembers those?! I have a Raskog too! Lol. That little vacuum cleaner might be my solution too. Threads always wrap around the rotating bar on my regular vacuum cleaner….not sure I can clear off enough table space for it, though.

MissPat said...

Some wonderful suggestions here, including the dustbuster and the divided trays. I have a mountain of those little frustrating things that probably wouldn't take long to solve, if I only put my mind to it. And lots of fabric eye candy, as well. Sweater Weather will be cozy and warm and I won't be surprised to see Blithe become a squirrel.
Pat

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finding solutions to some nagging problems, Julie!

Ellie said...

Such wonderful fabric pulls! I’d be hard pressed to choose which to work on first. The organization tips are most helpful since we recently moved and seriously downsized.I’m having to sharply reorganize my sewing space so any tips are most welcome.

JustGail said...

Great little improvements to your studio. I keep a little electric hand vac in the sewing room, I probably should use it more often. For some reason, the battery hand vacs and I just don't get along.

Good luck on the insurance thing - they are not fun to deal with. It's amazing how dealing with onerous unwanted work saps energy for the fun relaxing hobbies. For me, it's been weeding.

LA Paylor said...

love a clear container!!! that said, I've learned to keep my pens horizontal to keep the nibs inked... otherwise they can dry out faster.
this may be okay if you use them daily but take care.
love the dust buster and it's charging station. It's like a sculpture and so handy... you could vacuum the machine now and then too.
LeeAnna

Julierose said...

That leafy fabric is lovely; looks like you are all set with those fabric pulls...Pandemonium is coming together really well i think...
Enjoy hugs, Julierose

Jan said...

First, I am always gobsmacked by your quilts and especially your use of color. Thank you for the inspiration!

Second, years ago I learned to take care of the things that bothered me the most and/or everyday. What a relief! Glad you took care of some of those issues/tasks--life is easier now, isn't it?

Mystic Quilter said...

I think I might have to shop for a dust buster, as you say it's a real chore bringing out "the big guns" to take care of the threads etc. Love your organised cart by the way. Two nice fabric pulls and now I shall hop up to your latest post and see how Sweater Weather is coming along.