For the Birds is finished at long last.
I made these twelve birds in 2016 when I was teaching.
In early 2019 I decided to turn them into a quilt for myself,
finishing the top in December.
(SO glad I persevered and made all those little HSTs -
I was inspired by Glen's bird quilt)
Both of my other bird quilts (Eleanor and Just Wing It)
were quilted by my long arming friend Chris
who added fabulous feathers, leaves, and texture.
That meant I was totally intimidated
by the thought of quilting my own bird quilt.
After far, FAR too much internal debate
I settled on rows of liberated fans -
enough to add the texture I love while
letting the birds, HSTs, and fabrics be the stars.
Quilted using Glide thread in white.
(I'm delighted at how it disappears into the fabrics)
It felt odd to deliberately NOT quilt the birds
as focal points but now that the quilting is done,
I'm very (very!) happy with the results.
(this is, after all, going to be a recliner quilt
meaning it will be used and not hung on a wall)
The 28" x 30" St. Louis bird surrounded by
even more HSTs and pieced into the backing
worked out just as I had hoped.
(previous photos taken in the early morning)
* * *
For the Birds measures 50.5" wide x 66" long
after being laundered with multiple Color Catchers.
(once again, they thankfully did their job)
I love its gently crinkled texture.
(final two photos taken just before dusk)
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------“The pigeon here is a beautiful bird, of a delicate bronze colour, tinted with pink about the neck, and the wings marked with green and purple.”
William John Wills







37 comments:
I love that you have quilted this yourself. The fans look great. They measure quite big too which make the quilt look very cosy.
Magnificent! I adore this quilt. I love it even more when you said it will be a recliner quilt!
So beautiful, great job really compliments the whole birds, shapes, fabric.
Great finish front and back~
enjoy your new cuddle quilt - they get the best life if you ask me.
It’s great!!! I like that you didn’t give the birds special treatment.
How fun is that back! The quilt texture looks wonderful. I am not at the point in my quilting that I could have quilted through the birds. All those sparkly triangles look like the birds singing.
Fabulous!
I love everything about this quilt (and Glen's version, as well). I like the mixture of background fabrics which add such dimension and the back is like having a second quilt (which you do so well). Someday, I'm going to try my hand at the liberated Baptist fans as they provide great texture.
Pat
This Bird quilt turned out beautifully..Lots of HST's for sure!!
Nice work --I like that single bird on the back..
hugs from my recliner ;))) Julierose
Beautiful, whimsical finish! I love the hsts, though I know they were a ton of work. Kind of looks like migration patterns for the birds. The quilting is great, too. Happy finish!
I love these birds! I downloaded Lynne's pattern a few years ago and it's still on my list....You have a great setting there. All those HSTs!!
This quilt is one of my favorites since I’ve been reading your blog, probably 6 months. Love the assortment of neutrals!
The HSTs make the birds sparkle!
Is there a pattern for this quilt??? I love it!!!!
Beautiful quilt and beautiful quilting!
To Carol Benson (you are a no-reply blogger so I am responding here) -- There is no pattern for this quilt. FOR THE BIRDS is an original design from my own scrap-loving brain. However, there IS a tutorial for Lynne's Liberated Birds. Her Etsy shop is The Patchery Menagerie (I use her most-excellent tutorial to make all of my birds).
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PatcheryMenagerie
just LOVE the HST with the birds!!!!! I love this quilt!!! and the fan quilting is perfect! Wow!
It takes a lot of willpower to make that many triangle squares for one project and it was definitely worth the time and perseverance.
Fantastic! and Fun!
Looks like birds in HST bird houses.
THis quilt is quite impressive...great job!
I love this bird quilt, Julie! This bird style has been around a very long time in the quilting world and I never tire of seeing them. They really show out with the black and white borders around them and the colorful triangles. Quite a project. Well done!
It’s amazing!
A wonderful quilt in lots of ways. I love the birds, your Baptist fan quilting, and all those little bitty HSTs! And am glad this one is a keeper!
So playful and fun! Love those dancing colors of the HST's.
Absolutely beautiful quilt - I love everything about it, the birds, all the HSTs, the quilting, backing - the LOT. You have created a wonderful heritage quilt.
Even though you didn't quilt the birds to be the star of the show, they still remain the focus, Julie. All that wonderful texture adds to the beauty. Enjoy, Julie!
This one is fabulous!!!! All those little half squares add so much to this whole quilt!! you are just so creative! and for the quilting... you chose wisely grasshopper!! haha!! I love it all!
I really like how this one turned out. The combination of the quilting and the triangles creates the flying feathers feeling. Excellent!
A joy from the front and back. What's not to love with birds on a quilt. The fans are a super compliment to all the work in piecing.
Rondi rondiquilts@yahoo.com
Oh YES! I remember these birds and loved them at the time, so what a lovely surprise to see them again. They are fabulous.
Love the birds quilt. I am working on my own. I know you have posted about them before, but can you give me the info on the giant clothes pins?
yes all those HSTs were definitely worth it...beautiful!
Congratulations on a beautiful finish. The HSTs were worth the effort but arranging them with the birds off-centered is genius. How lovely. Enjoy it every time you use it.
Perfectly perfect!
It's absolutely fabulous!
Not only is the quilt stunning, but your quilting is just perfect!
It's AMAZING! The quilting and the setting all combine with the star-quality birds to create a quilt that's absolutely, positively perfect!
Post a Comment