Monday, April 26, 2021

Nubilous - the Layout



I've finished up the fourth round of logs/cornerstones
for my Log Cabin Loonies project named Nubilous
and laid out all twenty blocks on the design wall.

(click on the label at the end of this post
to read previous posts for this one)




This was the first version with grays vertically oriented
and greens on the horizontal - but given the inspiration
it made more sense to rotate each block 90 degrees
so the grays became the horizontal (sky) while
the greens (trees) became the verticals.




Many of the logs are segment-pieced lengths 
from the Dumpster Diving leftover boxes.

It feels good to use up so many of those bits and pieces.




Nubilous will become the third quilt top in my Etcetera series.




The twenty-block center will finish at 40" x 50"
but with the turquoise stop border and 
the birds/branches outer border,
the top should finish in the 50" x 60" range.

* * *

As soon as I finish the FMQ on Dumpster Diving 8 - Bella
I need to focus on getting three sets of blocks sewn together -
Drama Queen, Namaste, and now Nubilous.

(there was another delay as DH needed to 
tweak Max's timing just a bit more to eliminate the last of the
annoying but entirely predictable thread nest issues)

Namaste is to be younger son's 40th birthday quilt -
and that big day is quickly approaching.


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Nature in her green, tranquil woods heals and soothes all afflictions.”
John Muir  

11 comments:

julieQ said...

I love your loonie quilt....perfect!! The colors you use are so pretty to me.

Julierose said...

Another beautiful log cabin quilt!! Love those little pops of pink sprinkled around...lovely work Hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Pretty darn cool finish. Thanks for sharing the thinking and process.

Lynette said...

Oooo!! Another spectacular creation - this is so very pretty and striking with the birds border.

Frog Quilter said...

The new quilt top is so BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the border.

Mystic Quilter said...

Definitely a good decision to change the orientation here and I love the bird fabric border. I'm actually reading down through your posts, because of the tendonitis and other problems I have been extremely lax with my reading!

Linda said...

Love your combination of deep turquoise and strong greens, works so well.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love this combo of colour, very striking! And your border fabric is perfect.

LynneP said...

What a great quilt!

Ann said...

What a lovely set of colors. Congrats,

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhhhh I love this one!!! It looks so great, and the colors - Oh My!! they pop!