Sunday, April 11, 2021

Drama Queen Takes Shape



I made more blocks and put them on the design wall.

(see previous post for the beginnings of this project)




For giggles, I rearranged the blocks into
the namesake layout suggested by the pattern's designer.

And just like that my first idea flew out the window.

To balance things out, 
I plan to add a full-size column of red on the right side.
 
It's feels great to know exactly
where I'm going with Drama Queen.

(why is it that some quilts make decisions so "easy" 
and others like Forty-Six make progress so challenging?!?)




Next I pulled out this backing yardage purchased
 online from eQuilter a year or so ago . . . 

Oh my goodness - be still my heart!

(Tuscan Poppies by Chong- A Hwang
 for Timeless Treasures)



I am so in love with this . . .

(and if you look closely enough,
you can see that one strip in each block was cut 
from the very long lengths of already-sewn-together
short segments from previous dumpster diving projects)

I spent much of the weekend sorting/cutting strips to length
and stacking them in sewing order using my plate system
so that when I have a few minutes to sit and sew
I can work without having to make all those design decisions.

(pre-sorting and prepping the blocks also let me 
clear the massive piles of strips off the top 
of my sewing table  - making it easier to breathe)



Elsewhere in the studio,
these quilt tops/backs were noodle-rolled 
to FMQ in April -  so while I will absolutely keep 
making Drama Queen's 48 red/40 bright-on-black blocks 
(plus sixteen brights-on-black partial blocks), 
I will also take time to pin baste and quilt/finish 
the final three Dumpster Diving quilts.
(Nos. 8, 10, and 11)


Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
"RED is the ultimate cure for sadness"
Bill Blass

19 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

This is amazing. And you know I do not use that word lightly.

swooze said...

Yummy!

Yes I find choosing and pairing fabrics takes the longest. I’ve learned to get that bit out of the way then fly like the wind!

Cherie in St Louis said...

Oh, I can tell this is going to be one of my favorite Julie quilts! It’s going to live up to its name in spades. And could there be a better backing choice? I think not 😉

Julierose said...

You do have the most luscious fabric pairings:))) this will be stunning. hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

It would not have been as easy to plan this one had you not struggled in the past with others. The more we struggle with something, the more we learn about how to solve problems and come up with strategies in order to move ahead and finish. Premature giving up also trains people to have an automatic shut off response. Pretty cool quilt. I am old enough to remember sitting being mesmerized by orange lava lamps.

Dorothy said...

This may be a stupid question, but did you try the black section as the "top".
But I love this one--like all of your quilts from your head, you amaze me

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fun quilt Drama Queen is going to be, Julie!! Best of luck with the layering and quilting of DD# 8, 10, and 11. I'm looking forward to seeing the last three completed quilts in the series!

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm so pleased that you went with the original pattern, it's a real show stopper!

ButterZ said...

That’s a great way to store your completed quilt tops..

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Noodle-rolling is the best! I know exactly what you mean when you speak of "space to breathe"; something I need too! Drama Queen is definitely taking center stage, and with good reason; she deserves the spotlight! Red is absolutely the cure for sadness!

JustGail said...

I think some quilts have an easier time figuring out that they want to be because of limitations. It seems like a restricted color palate, a single block like tumblers or a 16 patch, or a combination of those, you can still go wild with a lot of different fabrics to bring in lots of interest. Too many good ideas screeching for attention makes it hard to listen to the quilt. And sometimes, a quilt comes along that you think you *should* make - to learn something new, a challenge, everyone else seems to be making it, etc. It seems like a good idea to jump in and start, but now isn't its time to be.

Drama Queen is going to be gorgeous.

Sylvia Anderson said...

This quilt is going to be fantabulous Julie. I may not comment often, but read your blog daily, and am mesmerized by the array of very colorful fabric you have. I have seen the backing you plan to use on this quilt and remember thinking how beautiful it would look on the back of a quilt. It would be a shame to cut it into small pieces, unless you were using leftovers from yardage. Looking forward to seeing the quilt top when it's finished.

Ellie said...

Can’t say much more than “WOWZER! “ Thisis going to be fabulous and the back is beyond perfect!

OPQuilt said...

I love where this is going. Dumpster Diving is such a perfect term for this technique, and it must be in the zeitgeist, as I just started doing a little of this myself over the weekend. Your red/black quilt will be really fabulous--thanks for showing it to us!

Ann said...

Love the red and Bill's quote. You've set them off so wonderfully with the black prints and the poppy border. Hooray.

Jan said...

I love this! What is your 'plate system'? I have one for jigsaw puzzles, but not for quilting. I have looked around your blog and can't find it.

Thanks!

Jan

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving the red & black combo! And I too remember lava lights, so your post made me smile! The backing fabric is perfect for this!

QuiltGranma said...

you always come up with the most interesting quilt ideas!

Agile Jack said...

I ran across this quilt last night on Pinterest and was so happy to see that it was YOURS! It has my juices flowing and they haven't flowed for a few months. I've already ordered a tumbler ruler and am thinking a version of this in Australian Aboriginal fabrics would be interesting. Thanks for the inspiration. This is a gorgeous piece!!!
Anne