Suffice it to say that I have spent HOURS and HOURS of time
pondering the seemingly millions of options for completing
the current AHIQ String Pieced Tulips QAL challenge.
I don't do hand appliqué so that route was not an option.
I've made dozens of string quilts including my Dumpster Diving series.
Which left the concept of tulips as the remaining challenge focus for me.
But with my chosen color palette inspired by the glorious images
from January 20, 2021, I was stumped over how to incorporate
all of them into a coherent whole.
So what am I going to do?
1. Edit my palette.
2. Honor my own way of doing things as well as the squirrel in me.
3. Stop pondering and start making.
Step one was to edit my palette.
caused a massive attack of "blank journal page syndrome"
aka utter creative paralysis.
So it has been folded like yardage and put back on the stash shelf.
The colors that struck me the most on Inauguration Day
were those worn by Jill Biden, Kamala Harris, and Amanda Gorman
namely their aqua/teal/turquoise, purple, and that glorious yellow.
So the dark blues, pinks, creams, and reds were returned to the stash shelves.
But with several hundred inspiration images still haunting me,
now what?
Step two involves honoring my inner squirrel.
So I pulled another project from the gestation closet -
one that featured even more inspiration from this book
and that project's stack of aqua/turquoise yardage.
By combining that project's ideas/yardage with Forty Six's challenge
and my own sensibilities, I have finally found my path forward.
I sorted through that box of hastily cut strips,
removing the reds, blues, creams, pinks, and blue violets
leaving only the red violets, yellows, and aqua/turquoise groups.
Step three involves MAKING instead of more thinking.
I will make the tulip centers from these newly-string-pieced yellow slabs.
I will make the left and right tulip petals from
the newly-string-pieced red violet slabs.
The stems and leaves will logically be from the basket of scrappy greens.
All of these will then be machine appliquéd in place.
I will make my background blocks from this range of yardage -
meaning those boxes of leftover teal/aqua/turquoise strips in the previous photo
will go back to the closet for future Etcetera projects.
While any backing choice is still up in the air
I plan to use this colorful batik for binding.
* * *
I cannot tell you how good it feels to have forward momentum again!
* * *
Note: I will also be sharing this post on the AHIQ blog
where you can find other participant's related posts
using the hashtag #AHIQStringTulipQAL
Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Color is the keyboard, the eyes are the harmonies, the soul is the piano with many strings. The artist is the hand that plays, touching one key or another, to cause vibrations in the soul.”
Wassily Kandinsky








11 comments:
'Color...cause[s] vibrations in the soul.' This stopped me in my reading tracks.
I loved reading your deliberations about how to be true to your own style and techniques while creating beautiful, colorful tulips for your new quilt.
I look forward to following your progress.
I love reading your thinking and process on this. I want to do the challenge and have two blocks done, that is it. Everything else has been piling on lately keeping me from it. I am struggling with the tulip designs. I love tulips. I draw them and paint them and stare at them. The ones that are in this challenge are too boxy and industrial shape to read as tulips for me. I am trying to figure out how to make them more organic and lyrical.
I love how you found your color palette and what a beautiful reminder this will make. Sorry you are struggling with the prompts though. Just do what you want... and what you do so well. The detailed directions are for beginners.
A beautiful path, it is! Happy travels in the making of this revised quilt, Julie.
I have been single-mindedly pursuing a squirrel for the last few weeks and, while I could be perfectly happy continuing, I really need to work on a few other projects. Plus two days of 60 degree weather is going to send me outside to do a little clean up. So after trimming some blocks, I'm going to reluctantly set the squirrel aside.
I find it interesting that both you and Lynne have totally revised your game plan on a current project.
Pat
As Faulkner famously said, we must "kill our darlings" to end up with the best we can produce. I love the original idea, and I love this one too. Such great colors! I also love the blue piece you folded up and put away-- I'm sure it will become something great, too!
This all sounds lovely, but I wonder about your tulips having three different color petals. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you've written. It will be fun and interesting to see how this develops!
All I can say is, “Whew!” Have you try machine appliqué? I have a vintage top with large flowers and each petal was turned under and sewn with a straight stitch in just a bit from the edge. Perhaps you have as that’s the way Gwen sewed her basket handles. Oops, sorry....not trying to lead you astray, just curious :)
WOW, totally trippin, man! Love going with you as you make these decisions.
Your mention of the colours from Inauguration Day have me so excited - they sound to be a glorious mix for a quilt. Sometimes our initial choice of colours just don't hit the mark, it's no good trying to press on when we're not happy with colour or design. I have to mention the book you have in this post and had to look it on Amazon - what a treasure you have there.
Post a Comment