Friday, February 12, 2021

FORTY-SIX - an update



As you can tell by the date on my sketch,
this was my plan for FORTY-SIX on February first - 
with each colorful clip representing a planned tulip.

Ann has shared a tutorial for her string pieced blocks
as part of the AHIQ String Tulip QAL.
 
She plans to share her string pieced tulip process in early March.

(as I explained in this post, I'm treating "string pieced tulips"
as a "prompt-driven" rather than "quilt-along" process
so I'm moving ahead on my own)




That same week, DH made two acrylic templates
using the diagram in Gwen Marston's Liberated String Quilts book.

My test block showed me that my plan to machine appliqué
each tulip blossom will work.

(the tulip right petal flips over to become the tulip left petal)




Then it was full steam ahead to create a backdrop for my blossoms
using a wide variety of light blues cut into 6" wide x random length chunks.

(shown here before the rows were sewn together
and before I remembered to flip the calendar page to February)

My vertical vine idea was "voted off the island" by the people I live with.

"Jack and the Beanstalk!" one exclaimed
which sent the other into gales of laughter
as the word "kudzu" was bantered about.

Their reactions were all it took for me to change my plan,
especially since I wasn't as in love with the look on the design wall
as I had been with my pencil sketch.

So now the green vine will run along the top and bottom edges
with leaves pointing to the right on one and to the left on the other.

(chances are they'll be cut from scrappy green made-fabric)

* * *

At this point I stalled - something about my approach
wasn't sitting well so I sewed the rows together and moved the background 
to the design wall in the other room while I worked on the top for Lagoon.   




Yesterday I realized why I had stalled.

Even though the tulips would be made from scrappy string pieced fabric,
I didn't want all twenty-one tulips to be exactly the same shape.

(that twenty-one number is subject to change -
it got stuck in my head because of the 21-gun presidential salute)

I also didn't want to cut strings from perfectly good yardage.

I quickly pulled out my crumb and resource boxes and
sorted out scraps in colors close to the previously-pulled yardage.
(shown here at the top of the photo)

In the foreground are the red, red-violet, and pink scraps.

(I also pushed myself to not be so literal about 'matching' the purity 
of the colors that were worn or displayed on January 20th)




Aqua/turquoise, blue, and blue-violet yardage (top) and scraps (bottom).




And finally yellow and cream yardage (top) and scraps (bottom).




It didn't take very long to cut up all those scraps
into 1.5" and 2" strips along with a few random-width strings.

* * *

At this point the top and back for Lagoon 
are on a hanger waiting for their turn with Max
and the light blue background is back on my design wall.

I've been studying string tulip posts on Audrey's blog 
and Lee Ann's blog, as well as lots of other online images.

Now it's time to start piecing scrappy made fabric.

I'm sure there are more strings than I'll need
but I can always find a way to use the leftovers.



Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“The distinct blue, red, and yellow colors …. Though they have not the kind of harmony which is produced by a variety of broken and transparent colors, have the effect of grandeur.”
Sir Joshua Reynolds

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Beautiful array of colors from your stash--and scraps, too.
I made my tulip templates from freezer papers ironed onto manilla folders--they work fine...

I don't know if I will actually follow up and make this --cannot decide on colors for mine. And that wedge piecing doesn't want to come out right for me...I am so used to straight diagonal stripping on my Ojos...we'll see.
At any rate it is fun seeing how everyone is going to make theirs...
hugs for a great weekend Julierose

Kaja said...

I haven't even started this project, but have been puzzling away at tulips, somewhere at the back of my head. I'm glad you've made a start and find your reflections as you go both interesting and helpful.

Pam Dempsey said...

I thought your sketch would be a beautiful design, vines and leaves are a favorite :)

JustGail said...

I'm not participating in this - too much on my plate right now, but will watching others' progress with much interest.

I don't suppose your DH would be interested in doing a guest post on making acrylic templates? I've searched on how to make them and found only simple squares, thin plastic or card stock, or why not to use acrylic. Nothing on how to make multi-part shapes. I have access to a scroll saw, but have questions. Like the best blade for acrylic, how to hold a pattern on the acrylic to follow with saw, and for blocks that have multiple pieces do you cut inside or on the line so they fit together properly? If he has no interest, no worries - I'll have to wind up my ambition to do some experimentation.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I don't know, Julie. I kind of liked the way "Kudzu" looked! Here I am, again... On the unpopular side of the design wall. Hoping you have better luck with the revised plan!

Chookyblue...... said...

looking forward to seeing the tulips come to life.........I just did a post and it's your fault i've been fabric shopping.........my inspiration......

rondiquilts said...

Kudos to you Julie for looking ahead. I'll be grateful to get the string blocks completed by the first of the next month, but I'm trying. I always love reading about your process. Very inspiring.

Rondi
rondiquilts@yahoo.com

Mystic Quilter said...

This is looking exciting Julie - love the colours you've chosen, they will look splendid on your pieced blue background. Lucky you having a husband who can produce acrylic templates!

Chookyblue...... said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the tulips come to life....