Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Sleigh Ride - the Quilt



Sleigh Ride is now a finished quilt.

51" wide x 62" long


Just over a year ago I cut out the 120 4.5" x 6.5" rectangles 
but I didn't like the results when they were sewn into pairs.

So I sub cut each pair and made four patches instead.




Those four patches languished in a project box
until August when this diagonal layout happened.




Here's a look at the scrappy back . . . 




. . .  with this closer look at the fabrics used.


The center was quilted with elongated liberated orange peels
using Glide thread in Apple (red).




The borders were quilted with  liberated echoed holly leaves 
and berries using Glide thread in Viridian (green).


There are still two more Christmas quilts pending
but those will not happen until 2021.

In the meantime I'll play with the shoebox of
leftover backing scraps from this year's 
Christmas quilts to make holiday table/mug mats.

* * *

Next up in the quilting que?

London Fields





Quiltdivajulie
-----------------------------------------------
“Listening is a hug you give with your mind.”
Barbara Nixon

13 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Really pretty. I love simple designs and the variety of greens really give this one a lot of interest.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, the quilts seems so cozy and happy. Love the quilting. You made a great decision cutting the pieces.

Julierose said...

That turned out beautifully--I have a KF jelly roll top that I made and I hate it! ;((( It's W A Y too neon looking and I am trying to come up with an idea to cut it up and use it in another way...(I know I could NEVER sleep under it! It would keep me awake it's so bright!! Just not me...) I've taken it out of the closet 3 times now and put it back...just can't get inspired...you did a great job cutting those up and putting them back in 4 patches...
And so it goes, right? Not everything works out...
Hugs from afar Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

I forgot to say how much I love the back. Reminds me of packages piled underneath the tree.

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice Christmas quilt Julie, and the orange peel quilting suits the design beautifully, you will have no shortage of Christmas quilts at your home!

Mari said...

Another lovely quilt for Christmas, Julie. This looks very cozy and will certain be welcome on chilly evenings. I love that you made it work. The results were certainly worth it!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a festive quilt! I like the quilting, too!

Heidi said...

what a lovely festive quilt !

Annie said...

Red and green continue to be my favorite Christmas colors. I think they really scream with Christmas joy. Just as your quilt does, Julie. I love seeing this very Christmasy quilt. I’m working on quilting my first Christmas quilt. It won’t be the last because quilts never seems to use up as much fabric as I think they will. I used up completely only one small piece I had. There’s plenty left for “more” Christmas quilts. Your Christmas quilts keep me inspired.

Vicki W said...

What a sweet Christmas quilt. It's begging for a snuggle.

Pamela Arbour said...

I really love the fabrics you chose. Very cozy and comfy.

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE that border quilting, Julie!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

its a perfect Christmas Quilt!